+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raised Flu vs Drop Flu

Default Raised Flu vs Drop Flu

I have been a very small operation for several years using a small flat pan and I am looking into a 2x6 of various models and configurations. My question is what would you prefer and why? What is the difference in boiling rate?

Thanks

First, what what I've seen, read and heard, either one of similar size would do you fine. Boiling rates can be similar. I like the raised flue, it just makes sense to me, and cleaning it out is a breeze with the drain at the corner of the flue pan. Some, but not all drop flues have a drain at the bottom of the flues. Just note that BOTH have passionate defenders and proponents, you'll probably come across this as you talk with people and research. I'd just suggest you find one you like, with the features you gotta have, with a competitive price, and get that. This is only a guess, but if you're thinking of buying new for this coming season, you MAY not find what you want now. Normal waits can be in the months long range. Good Luck!

I have seen smaller drop glue pans with no drain. DO NOT GET ONE OF THOSE.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I like my raised flue. Cleaning is easy, seems that operating is easier and very hard to hit with wood. Just my opinion
    Brian Eldredge
    Mooncusser Maple
    16x24 post and beam sugar shack
    2x8 CDL maple pro Wes fab filter press
    Lots of shiny stuff now I need some more trees

I started with a flat pan 2' x 3', then I got a drop flue 2' x 6' and then I got a 3' x 8' raised flue. I like the better control I get with a raised flue. I believe you will find that in any given size a raised flue gets better boiling rate than a drop flue, but the difference is slight.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have a drop flu and if I had to choose again, I'd get a raised. I'd like to have the ability to have different levels in the different pans. The other factor not mentioned yet is that raised are usually a bit more expensive.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

From what I have learned here raised flues can tolerate freezing a little better between boils also. I have a small raised flue unit and don't worry too much with just a light bulb in the firebox during hard freezes.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

We went from an older raised flue 2X6 to a Leader WSE 2X6 drop flue. Our tin pan was seeping and the trade to a new WSE was very enticing. I think the shiny part was the nicest part as I look back. However I see the discussion points for the drop flue and have to agree the extra surface area can be helpful. The WSE is a single float system...not as much control as two float. This is where I believe I noticed a difference. The WSE is a nice unit for smaller producers.

Our WSE does not have a drain manifold in the drop flues. You see this in the larger or higher end units more often. I am not sure if it is now available in the WSE, but I think it is. This would be a requirement in any drop flue pan for me in the future. Right now we have a 1/2" PVC pipe with the end ground to match the contour at the bottom of the flues. It works, but the manifold and drain would be much nicer and convenient as we are now draining the pans every 10-15 gallons of syrup.

Right now we have 400 taps on vacuum and a RO. The WSE is recommended for 150-200 taps by Leader. I would look at each manufacture and the ratings they show, check the manufacture/model here and on the web for customer satisfaction, and finally are the reasonable range of ratings okay for your goals. Maybe you can find a hood, preheater, blower type option to up your ratings later (GET an insulated arch door up front if you want to upgrade to a blow). Start looking at the signature lines on the site and send IMs. I have not found anybody on the site to be less than helpful.

Most importantly the MB (Maple Bug) will bite and you will probably seek more or bigger. Find something that can be expanded, sold with little loss, or big enough from the get go with expansion for the impending MB. We are expanding this year to about 800 taps with goal of 1-1200 taps later. After this year we are retiring the 2X6 and moving to a 3X10 drop flue, hood, pre heater. The advantage for us is the 2X6 is a very popular size around here and selling it should be pretty easy.

Good Luck,

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

I have used both drop and raised, I prefer raised, 1 drawback on raised is its hard to brush the flues and do a decent job of it
    2x6 RAISED FLUE PANS
    by WF MASON
    650 taps on vac.
    100 on bags

Hi Mike,

I have a Leader 2x6 WSE and always appreciate sharing ideas. I'm curious about your comment:

"Right now we have a 1/2" PVC pipe with the end ground to match the contour at the bottom of the flues. It works, but the manifold and drain would be much nicer and convenient as we are now draining the pans every 10-15 gallons of syrup."

Not sure what you mean by this. I agree, without a drain plug, draining this pan is a real pain! Are you grinding a "V" in the end of a PVC pipe, then using a pump or siphon? Details? I siphon but it's not easy.

BTW, what is your evaporation rate? When I'm really cooking I get about 30 gph. That's at a stack temp of about 900.

Thanks,
    Marc
    Central Ohio
    Leader WSE 2x6
    Old metal corn crib converted to "The Shack"
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacket canner
    Daryl 5" filter press with air pump
    Deer Run 125 RO

2023: 140 taps, buckets, 32 gallons
    2019: 100 taps, buckets, 45 gallons
    2018: 100 taps, buckets, 31 gallons
    2017: 100 taps, buckets, 15 gallons