+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recommendations on digital thermometer

Default Recommendations on digital thermometer

Looking for recommendations on digital thermometers,bought the cheap one at Leaders several years ago,temperature seems to fluctuate a little too much for comfort,syrup is getting close for butter,suddenly drops a couple of degrees,ends up being a guessing game.
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

I just bought this thermometer for the same reason. I bought a different RTD probe with it also to be able to use it for maple and cooking/bbqing. Haven't got it yet but I plan on getting a threaded nipple welded into my stainless pot so the probe can screw right in.
    https://www.auberins.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=284
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    I just bought this thermometer for the same reason. I bought a different RTD probe with it also to be able to use it for maple and cooking/bbqing. Haven't got it yet but I plan on getting a threaded nipple welded into my stainless pot so the probe can screw right in.
    This is the one I have. It comes with the case and pan clip. Also it reads in tenths of degrees. http://www.thermoworks.com/ChefAlarm
    Chad

2014: 12 taps, 5 gal buckets
    2015: 15 taps on bags
    2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 225 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press
    2018: 180 taps: Added Shurflo to 50 - 3/16", Auto fill sensor to head tank
    2019: No tapping
    2020: 175 taps
    2021: 300 taps, homemade RO and releaser
    2022: 600+ taps

I tried one from Bascom's, Maverick, I think. Never read right, comparing to trusty tall Grimm thermometer. FWIW, according to Cook's Country Kitchen, their comparative testing showed Chad's Thermoworks, as a top contender, along with Polder.
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

I purchased one of these http://www.thermoworks.com/DOT?gclid...SABEgIuZ_D_BwE 4 years ago and have put it through Syruping hell and it still is working just fine. It has proven to be accurate and is right on with my hydrometer. Batteries last a very long time and it will take tons of heat. when this one dies I'm giving it a hero's funeral and ordering another one, they sell a liquid proof probe.
    Last edited by buckeye gold; 12-23-2017 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    These are great when it comes to Syrup a good thermometer is good pair it with a Murphy cup and together they are great. Boiling temps vary daily that’s why Dial thermometers are adjustable for boiling temp. With a Murphy cup you can get dialed in quick each day.
    Jared

I built this for around $32.00 using a heat control and a type "K" thermocouple
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

+ Reply to Thread