+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welding up a new pan for my evaporator ( do I need food grade stainless)

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    Um. So it’s fine to poison family and friends?
    Depends on wether you like your family or friends.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Ha Ha! Maybe.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

Nearly every new pans are made with 304 ss also know as 18/10 or 18/8 ( 18% chromium and 8% nickel) under the European norms 1.4301. older soldered pans were made with series 430 ss, wich is also good for food. 316 is also ok , but cost more and you dont need there enhanced corrosion resistance. Be sure to used correct rod/filler metal since some of welding sticks could weld ss, but are not enough corrosion resistant.
    200 Buckets 2015
    14 x 16 Cabane ā sucre
    2 x 5 Cantin evaporator

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sapper View Post
    I would do it right and use 304 Stainless. Grades not made for food contact may rust or have other metals in them that could leach into the syrup.
    FYI,

304 can rust. Seen it many times in the water supply system I work in. Not as much as carbon steel, but it happens.

The 304 stainless probably appears like it's rusting because of some iron content in the water. I work in the food industry and 304 is the standard at my facility. The chilled water tank there is completely 304 and the bottom of it will sometimes have "spots" that look like rust but the tank itself is not rusting.
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

304 can corrode in water like solutions. I once had a riveted stainless structure of 304 and it suffered crevice corrosion at joints and under the 304 rivet heads in lightly chlorinated water. Looked horrible.

Another thing that can make stainless rust is if it's surface is contaminated with iron, like if you rub it with steel wool, or even drill it with a steel drill. There is a process to correct that contamination called passivation.

My take: 304 or other austenitic stainless steels are a good choice. That's why the big pan manufacturers use it.

If you want to make syrup for yourself in a steel pan or cast iron pot or copper kettle, go for it. You won't poison yourself. Worst thing to watch out for is solder with lead content.

If you are selling it, it makes sense to use bright clean welded stainless equipment.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

304 coming from China can have some carbon in it an it will rust but is not common. As far as corrosion in water, it is probably Microbial Induced Corrosion. Nasty little buggers secrete concentrated sulfuric acid. You will have what looks like a barnacle on the steel and the corrosion happens inside that, 316 is no match for it even. For what we do in maple this should not be a problem.

So my question is: is all 304 stainless for grade or do you have to get a specific food grade rating? There are other metals that come in contact with food that we eat. Cast iron pans and grill grates and aluminum pots and pans to name a few. I'm new to this and don't want to poison anyone, or adversely affect the taste. Was thinking any stainless would need cooked off like you do a new oven or grill to get rid of lubricants used in manufacturing.

As far as I know the 304 rating should be good for food contact. It is the standard in the food industry. 316 is even better but more expensive. If possible try to get from a US manufacturer as some of the imported stuff can have unidentified recycled material in it. I have seen where 304 has had to be torn out and replaced because it rusted and 304 should have no iron in it. Mill finish will work fine but is not as shiny as polished.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12