+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stack pipe

Default Stack pipe

Should I screw each section of stack pipe, rivet each section, or only worry about securing each section of pipe that extends above the roof? It's stainless stack pipe if it makes a difference. Thanks! Ted

I would use stainless screws. It’s how we did ours and if you need to take it apart is easier then rivets to take apart.

Thanks Paul VT. Stainless sheet metal screws?

Yup. Any hardware store will have them.

You may find it hard to drill a hole in SS unless you use a cobalt drill bit, others dull very quickly in SS. Pick the bit that is the diameter of the screw shank not the threads. Cobalt is far better than cobalt coated.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks for the replies. Another question: can I use regular caulk under and around the roof jack or is there something special (high temp) i should use? Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tbear View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Another question: can I use regular caulk under and around the roof jack or is there something special (high temp) i should use? Ted
    Hey Ted: if your worried about heat migrating to the caulking joint on the jack check out this stuff Z-Vent Sealant we used it for medium temp joints on things like stainless "B" vent chimney it sticks like crazy to clean metal and stands up to heat well. Jay

http://www.novaflex.com/productcart/...alant-p430.htm
    Zucker Lager

Thanks Zucker Lager, I'll check it out. Ted

Drilling holes in stainless sheet requires 4 things.
    1- A sharp bit (I often use a step bit
    2- Tapping or cutting lubricant
    3- Steady-firm pressure
    4 ..And most important...Low RPMs.. Run the bit too fast and you'll just burn it up.
    Dip the bit into some tapping lube, start with it just barely turning, keep the pressure on it, slowly increase rpms and you'll soon see chips or a spiral of stainless. Hold that bit speed and you'll be good.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

+ Reply to Thread