+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making Bourbon Barrel Syrup

I found a local distillery that carries them. They make good bourbon so in return they make fantastic bourbon syrup. I agree in some way that the market may get a little flooded but if you hit the right markets, you will still do well.

Thinking about buying some bulk syrup and BB aging it. Id never produce enough here to get 5-10 gallons a year to age with. Thinking about selling some of my local stuff this year and possibly adding a BB aged to the lineup. I currently have some oak pieces that I toasted and are soaking in bourbon in mason jars. Im gonna add some of them to jars and hot pack my syrup on them to replicate BB aged.

In New York state, it is also legal to make and sell bourbon infused maple syrup. I don't know how much you would need to add for that, but it might be worth trying.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I do not sell bourbon aged or infused. But I bought a used 5 gallon barrels added a fifth of $60.00 bourbon filled at 200 degrees and let sit for six months. There has been a steady line of new friends.
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

wonder if i used a 5gallon ss keg and added a 1/2 gallon of bourban then hotpacked rest with syrup if that would work?
    4 by 12 cdl
    Cdl 3 post ro , 4th post waiting to get added
    5 hp sihi vaccum pump, 3/4 hp airblo vaccum pump, gv60 atlas copco vaccum pump www.roundmountainsugarhouse.com.

Quote Originally Posted by steam maker View Post
    wonder if i used a 5gallon ss keg and added a 1/2 gallon of bourban then hotpacked rest with syrup if that would work?
    You would need "heavy" syrup and use the bourbon to bring it to the proper density otherwise is would be thin and probably mold. I draw off heavy and was going to try bringing it to proper density this year with some bourbon to see if it has the same flavor as the aged syrup.

Does anyone know if corn based or rye based bourbon is better? The barrels I use have that sweet bourbon aroma but I have also come across barrels with a different aroma but they were used for whiskey. More of an alcohol smell than bourbon.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

I'm just guessing but I think 1/2 gal of bourbon in a 5 gal SS bbl would be too much if you want to come close to duplicating the taste of bourbon barrel aged maple syrup. On the alcohol end what would 1/10 of the alcohol be? In New York state I believe you need a special license if going 2% alcohol or more. Check the laws unless it's just for personal use.
    I'm thinking most bourbon is maybe 80 proof (40% alcohol), thus you would want 1 qt max in a 5 gal batch of maple, then unless you want the kick, you might also want to mix it, then heat it to packing temp, to lower the alcohol a little too.
    Last edited by maple flats; 01-13-2018 at 12:26 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Sugarmaker View Post
    Does anyone know if corn based or rye based bourbon is better? The barrels I use have that sweet bourbon aroma but I have also come across barrels with a different aroma but they were used for whiskey. More of an alcohol smell than bourbon.
    True bourbon is made with at least 51% corn. The rye and some others are aged the same way , but the corn whiskies are true bourbon. Some of the newer distilleries that are popping up are selling 3-4 year aged bourbons. These do not have time to develop like a 7- 12 year would. I had a 4 year at a local distillery a few weeks ago and it was very alcohol forward and not as sweet or vanilla / caramel as an older bourbon. The age on the barrels may make a difference.

Thanks for this information. Do you refrigerate the syrup when the weather gets warmer. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast