+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Block Arch questions

Default Block Arch questions

So, I inquired advice on a barrel arch with a pan. It sold, but no big deal. I would rather build my own. Looking for advice on a cement block arch. I was looking at a 18"x34" flat pan with draw off valve from Silver Creek Maple products. Couple questions: 1) Could a block arch dry stacked work this year with this pan for my 7 taps with a small scale RO? 2) Could this flat pan be reworked at some point to make it a cross flow pan? I was watching block arch builds on you tube and it looked like something I could get up running to serve the purpose this year. I am a total newbie, so please excuse my lack of knowledge. Thank you.

I dry stacked block first year I boiled. Worked fine.

To use the draw off valve you might want to provide support to slide the pan off the fire when you're ready to draw.
    2019-2023 40 to 50 taps to get 8 to 10 gallons of syrup
    2018 Built the sugar shack, produced 10.5 gallons (converted some to sugar,& cream). taps varied 45 to 50
    2017 Built 2x4 arch for a divided pan, 8.5 gallons from 30 taps increased to 42 taps during season.
    2016 Produced 3 gallons & 1 quart Syrup, Block arch & 3 buffet pans, 12 taps
    2015 Thought about tapping

Easy peasy. See the link in my signature. You need more taps. That pan can handle 25-70 easily, without the RO.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Eddy View Post
    Easy peasy. See the link in my signature. You need more taps. That pan can handle 25-70 easily, without the RO.
    Thanks Big Eddy! I will be placing my order today. Will also try and get some more taps out.

I was thinking of building my arch 3 blocks high. Will this work or should it be 2 blocks high like Big_Eddy's build? I was thinking with my narrower pan, my firebox was going to be 16"x20"x20"(3" airspace under fire, ramp up in back of firebox). Any advice is greatly appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread