+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forest Certification on MFL lands

While my county forester has yet to respond, I looked up the rule book here:http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/forestmanage...ents/24505.pdf

You can scroll down to the bottom of page 20-24 and find that maple tapping is indeed allowed and MFL lands can be rented out for tapping. The disclaimer part is that if the practice is "incompatible with forestry" it can apparently be denied. It is no secret that many foresters, DNR or not do not like maple tappers. So with that being said, and with the stories that I have read here, it certainly seems that it is at the discretion of who the particular forester is.

I know of several large and prominent producers that have their lands enrolled in the MFL, so hearing all of this is very troubling and confusing.

Almost seems as if the state is picking and choosing who can tap, and who cannot. It kind of resembles how the Wi food safety inspectors inspect sugar house. None of them are consistent with one another, one guy gets nailed on a "violation", while the guy 4 miles down the road gets a free pass even though hes in "violation" of the same item. (Ask me how I know this.) Typical outcome when government gets too top heavy!
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

I’m glad I live in the state of New Hampshire also known as the “Live Free or Die” state. Our Current Use laws don’t have any of these use restrictions.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Here is the response from my forester:
    M
    Molback, Matthew S - DNR <Matthew.Molback@wisconsin.gov>

Reply|
    Today, 1:35 PM
    You
    Mark,

I’ve never heard of such a thing. I know of many MFL landowners that have profited from their maple syrup operations on MFL lands. Where it could be an issue with MFL is if the landowner is not completing their mandatory harvest obligations of the program because of their tapping operation. This could be deemed a use incompatible with the practice of forestry. In most cases working with your DNR forester to try and coincide the timber harvest with changing of the lines is a good approach.

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, 715-232-1516.

-Matt

We are committed to service excellence.

Visit our survey at http://dnr.wi.gov/customersurvey to evaluate how I did.

Matthew S. Molback

Phone: 715-232-1516

matthew.molback@wisconsin.gov

jmayerl..you should probably report your forester to the state, he may get a new outlook on life.
    Last edited by markcasper; 12-18-2017 at 02:20 PM.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.

"Mandatory harvest obligations of the program" What do you get in exchange for that obligation? I guess it is the government helping you meet your goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    "Mandatory harvest obligations of the program" What do you get in exchange for that obligation? I guess it is the government helping you meet your goals.
    In exchange you pay very little property tax, .79 cents per acre each year.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    In exchange you pay very little property tax, .79 cents per acre each year.
    This rate is only if you had the property entered before 2005 and your land is completely open to the public for use. The current rate to enter Jan 1, 2018 and keep your land private is $10.20 per acre.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

Quote Originally Posted by jmayerl View Post
    This rate is only if you had the property entered before 2005 and your land is completely open to the public for use. The current rate to enter Jan 1, 2018 and keep your land private is $10.20 per acre.
    Yes....you are correct on that! We enrolled ours in 2001 b/c it was getting taxed as recreational, the state did not yet recognize tapping as agricultural, which under "use value" assessment, lowers the taxes dramatically. Roland Jorns from Door County created alot of smoke in Madison regarding this issue. If it were not for him, it may still be taxed as recreational.
    Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12