+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forest Certification on MFL lands

Default Forest Certification on MFL lands

Does anybody know anything about the following:http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/timbersales/mfl.html

We have transferred the woods from my parents to us, and the woods has been enrolled in the MFL program. One of the questions the DNR forester requested was whether we want it certified or not. He said if it is checked "yes" that it would remain the way it is now. He said in future years certified wood may be more valuable than uncertified, but the land owner is held to higher expectations and a possible audit by this group. Any info or experience that other could share would be helpful.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

I was reading a bunch on the link you provided and it kind of looks like organic wood. Can you tap and be in the program?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I was reading a bunch on the link you provided and it kind of looks like organic wood. Can you tap and be in the program?
    No. You are not able to tap for commercial use
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

Quote Originally Posted by jmayerl View Post
    No. You are not able to tap for commercial use
    Where does it say you can't tap trees commercially?? Evidence?? The forester did not say ANYTHING about not being able to tap. On the contrary, maple syrup production was written into the MFL management plan in 2001 when the woods went in. I think you are full of it jmayerl!!
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.

Right out of the manual :

non-Timber products
    Aromatics, berries and wild fruits, cones and seeds,
    forest botanicals, honey, mushrooms, nuts, syrup, and
    weaving and dyeing materials are some of the many
    alternative forest products that people grow and
    harvest. Special products like these can provide
    opportunities for entrepreneurs to supplement their
    incomes. The broader economic framework that
    results can ultimately help to pr

So it looks looks tapping is fine: I'm in Ohio but my family has managed certified tree farms for decades and have tapped those lands for years

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    Where does it say you can't tap trees commercially?? Evidence?? The forester did not say ANYTHING about not being able to tap. On the contrary, maple syrup production was written into the MFL management plan in 2001 when the woods went in. I think you are full of it jmayerl!!
    We just purchased a 40 that is in MFL. I called the DNR before offering on the property. His reply was maple syrup production is no problem as long as it doesn't interfere with timber harvest. He also said while in the program you cannot profit from any forest products produced from the land. As I never seem to make any money from this venture I am not to worried about it. I do think if you had 3500 taps on a tubing system...They would have some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny's Sugar Shack View Post
    We just purchased a 40 that is in MFL. I called the DNR before offering on the property. His reply was maple syrup production is no problem as long as it doesn't interfere with timber harvest. He also said while in the program you cannot profit from any forest products produced from the land. As I never seem to make any money from this venture I am not to worried about it. I do think if you had 3500 taps on a tubing system...They would have some questions.
    I got a response from our local DNR forester and he said it is OK to tap trees on lands that are in the MFL, certified or not. As for making a profit, I asked that question and will forward the response when I receive one.
    Mark

wow I am not familiar with your program in WI., but I find it amazing anyone would sign up for a program that prohibited you from making money off your land. Like I said my family has been involved with certified tree farming for decades and the main objective was managing a sustained crop for income.... This sounds like a group of environmental preservationist we have in our area that are just a bunch of anti-everything and have tied up a lot of land that you can't even cut a twig on. I wouldn't touch a program like that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    When I told the forester that I was planning on a 3800 tap system he said they would not do the parcel as MFL. His main reasoning was the butt log would be useless to a logger. I then gave him a example of a nearby woods with some buckets in it and he said that was for personal use.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

From what I have read in the info and everyone's replies I think what is causing the confusion is the objective of this MFL plan. The foresters are only managing for optimum timber harvest on a long term plan and everything else is considered a side venture or supplemental benefit. If they were to look at the management plan as a business or income producer, then they would be looking at all possible scenarios. However, they are operating this strictly as a timber harvest plan. A lot of factors are in play when you look at total timber stand management. You have to ask the question, "what do I want my woods to do for me and where is the value". Then your woods needs to be inventoried and evaluated for assets. Here is where the syrup operation parameters are considered. If you have an established old (near climax) forest that has never been tapped then the timber value is substantially more than syrup value. However, in this scenario damage will not be total as most of the sawable wood is already made and you will only be tapping a small part of it. The value of the logs will be impacted some, but not severely. If you have a young woods that is still somewhat successional than that is a different case. If you are going to be tapping young trees of say 10-14" and doing so long term, then the timber value will be impacted more severely. So you come to this point where you decide what you want and where is the value. There has been research done that shows this comparison. If you start on young trees and tap them long term over decades then your syrup value will be pretty much equal to what timber value you would have gained. On old mature trees you may want to harvest the best trees as timber to maximize value. So I gather this MFL plan you all are discussing is geared strictly towards maximizing timber value. If that is the case then I would say a syrup producer should not enter into it. You can successfully manage for both, I have. We sold our home farm we tapped for years to some friends that happen to be log buyer/ brokers. He cut and sold most of the Maples we had tapped for years. I asked him if that ruined the logs and he said it reduced the grade a little, but they still sold very well. The case was most of these trees were already mature and of harvest size when they were first tapped, so the value was not greatly impacted. If you can find the market tapped lumber will bring a premium.
    Last edited by buckeye gold; 12-16-2017 at 07:24 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast