+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warming Pan Question

Default Warming Pan Question

I'm getting ready to build a new 2'x3' evaporator, continuous flow pan and warming pan. My thought is to build the warming pan as part of the stack so it captures all the heat going out. I would weld a piece of stainless pipe in the center of the warming pan and add the stove pipe on top of this. Kind of hard to explain but would this be too much heat? Would I run into scorching problems?

You would get burnt sap at and just above the sap level. Look at the way member Johnny Cuervo made a pre-heater, shown on his web site: http://flickr.com/photos/57535094@N0...7601539320490/
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

If you want to run a 2 x 3 evaporator and are building it, why not build a 2 x 4 and not use a preheater? If it is a divided pan the first section would be your "warming" pan. This would be more efficient and you would not get the burning on the sides or condensation dripping back in.

That is a good question and something I hadn't considered. I guess I'm looking for the best option before I start building. I'm still new to this so any input is greatly appreciated.

My personal opinion your stack will not generate enough heat to scorch anything in a perheat pan. Depending on how big it is and how much sap is in it i guess. Many years ago when i had a homemade 2x6 i had a similar set up as to what you want to build for a prebeater. Mine would barley get warm because it was taking in fresh sap quicker then it was heating it.
    24x56 heavy timber post and beam sugar house. 2013 CDL 2.5x8 deluxe airtight raised flue 750 taps on vacuum. CDL reverse osmosis, Wes Fab 7" full bank press. Eastern Maine CDL sales rep.

+ Reply to Thread