+ Reply to Thread

Thread: External pump for a Electric Releaser

Default External pump for a Electric Releaser

Hey all,
    I am wondering what you have run for external pumps on Electric releasers. What is there to look for? Will any jet pump work? It is pumping out of a high vacuum system if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance,

Stainless steel gould pump. good luck!!
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by miohman View Post
    Will any jet pump work? It is pumping out of a high vacuum system if that makes a difference.
    The fact that it is pumping out a high vac system makes a huge difference. The higher the vacuum in the releaser, the harder the pump has to work to pump liquid out. So you'll need a decent pump, and the external connections have to be absolutely leak-free. You'll most likely want a small return line as well. Search through the archives here and you'll fine lots of good information.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I used an external pump last year on a 12x30 extractor, over 20" it would struggle. I have since purchased a 12x36 booster tank($200) and plan on installing a deep well submersible pump Goulds($450) inside, basically because it does not fit well in 30" extractor. I will plumb both units together to increase capacity and limit pump cycling with about 20 gallons per "dump". Pump curves are readily available for most deep well applications and easy to understand with a little research. A throttling valve and pressure gauge may be required to keep the pump operating on the curve depending how far or high you need to pump. In my case I am not pumping far. I think the Goulds stainless centrifugal external pump will run well over $1000 and may not be as reliable. Some people are placing deep well pumps in 4" PVC pipe.

1PSI=2.31 feet of head this is a handy conversion for most pump curves.
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

I use a deep well pumpin a 6" pipe chamber..lworks extremely wellbup to 28"..
    Chris Hicks
    The Sugar House at Morningstar Farm
    24x50 sugar House
    New 4x12 reverse fired leader arch and steam away
    new h2o innovations 1000 gph r.o.
    it's time to get back in the woods!
    www.sappyguys.com
    603-479-0804

Goulds SST. Tried to use a Goulds Irrigator and it failed after 2 seasons. Like Dr Tim says, it has to stand up to the hi vac. I've had no problems and it does have the return line. You get what you pay for. I got lots of pics if you need them!
    King 2x6 with Steam-Away
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    460 on Vac
    I thot this was supposed to be a hobby

+ Reply to Thread