+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what is this and how do i get it to do what it does?

Default what is this and how do i get it to do what it does?

1209171913a.jpg

Can you help me out with this? Bought a used evaporator and this came with it. Fairly sure it's for adjusting my blower speed but confused how to tie it in this contraption.

Looks like you have two separate items...an auto draw off for your front pan and a rheostat for a blower.
    Miscoe Hill Maple
    2015 PJ Evaporator (Phaneuf) 2x6 drop flue
    2x6 WF Mason Arch
    ~250 taps on a Guzzler & Shurflo
    12x20 WF Mason Filter/Canner
    12x16 Sugarhouse

I could see that. The bigger controller that would be the autodraw has no outlet or anything to hook up a solenoid to though. It has 2 display screens. One says PV other SP. Only wires are to plug it in and one for what appears to be a temp sensor. Also already have a crescendo auto draw with the evaporator. Doesnt appear to be part of that system in anyway.

Looks like a temp probe for either your stack or firebox. The larger display is what I'm suspecting to be your temp read out and the smaller box is to adjust your blower speed to find your sweet spot in boiling.
    If this is what I think it is....look either on your stack for a hole this probe goes into, the back of the arch where the base stack meets, or the backside of the ramp on the arch to see if it goes there.
    Again I could be way off in left field on this too
    Jake Moser
    Moser's Maple

2 beautiful little girls
    1 wife that's become her mother

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple

The grey probe looks like a high temp stack temperature probe. The big box is an old PID controller that looks like somebody scavenged out of a industrial facility of some sort.

With the way it looks in the picture I think its just being used as a simple digital stack temp readout and a manual rheostat for the blower.

PV = process value, or the actual temperature the probe is reading
    SP = set point, the value that the controller wants PV to be

The buttons on the display allow you to set the Proportional–Integral–Derivative of the feedback to control the output signal of the big box.
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

Thats what i was thinking but what did not make sense to me was no way to plug the rheostat stat into the controller. Thought maybe they all worked together so blower sped up and slowed down based on temp. Its ok if it doesnt but was thinking it was pretty awesome if it did. So in reality its a glorified thermometer in this application it seems.

+ Reply to Thread