+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's everyone doing about FDA registration?

Default What's everyone doing about FDA registration?

I see in the Maple News that registration is mandatory by next year some time. Being someone who sells most of my syrup wholesale, I will be required to be inspected. I am not sure what I am going to do about this. If I have to invest a ton into washable walls, worker bathrooms, etc I may just downsize and sell mostly retail. Can someone tell me what the inspections will entail? I am in Ohio.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

Well that is a very good question. I would love to see a checklist posted that defines just that IN SIMPLE ENGLISH. I tried to register but I think I need a 5th grader to decipher the form so I can find that one box that says I am not a threat.
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

heus, Do you usually attend Ohio Maple days in January. Dan Milo with the Dept. of Ag food safety usually goes over all that and updates everyone on what is new. They are holding one at a new site in Geauga County this year. SOmewhere I have Dan's e-mail, PM me if you want it and I'll see if I can find it.

amaranth farm Guest

Radio Silence.
    Last edited by amaranth farm; 04-06-2018 at 01:48 PM.

McClure in Littleton required proof of registration to sell to them. I am lead to believe all packers are going to require proof of registration
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by maple maniac65 View Post
    McClure in Littleton required proof of registration to sell to them. I am lead to believe all packers are going to require proof of registration
    Maple Grove checks for registration.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Folks will have to register to sell to a packer even though they may not sell over half their crop wholesale?

There does seem to be an awful lot of confusion still about this FDA registration. The wholesale/retail, small producer/large producer wording in recent publications has not helped. Recent conversations prove many producers do not know "where they are supposed to stand" with this. I agree that a short list of much simplified and clearly defined set of rules regarding this would be great thing for all. And reports of daunting attempts at the online registration doesn't exactly encourage folks to register either.
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

amaranth farm Guest

Radio Silence.
    Last edited by amaranth farm; 04-06-2018 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amaranth farm View Post
    Not by law. If a packer decides to hold your feet to the fire, then you have a choice. Find more ways to sell "privately", educate your packer, or find a packer that does not misinterpret the law. Bottom line is that if you sell less than 50% of your total crop to packers, you are not bound by the law to register.
    Packer is not necessarily misinterpreting the law. They get to pick what rules they want to follow when buying syrup. Might be their own standards or who they sell to down the line.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    They get to pick what rules they want to follow when buying syrup. Might be their own standards or who they sell to down the line.
    That pretty much sums it up. With the current oversupply of syrup, and the buyers of syrup requiring more documentation from the packers, they are simply applying the same standards to all the folks they buy syrup from. Your choice is to comply with their rules and sell to them, or don't and sell to someone else (if you can find someone who uses different rules).
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast