+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's everyone doing about FDA registration?

It's my understanding that the FDA registration is more about tracing a food products source in the event of tainted product. You agree to supply contact information and location(s).

It is not an endorsement by the FDA, the operator agrees to allow inspection if requested. I filled one out in '15 and received a reg number. I understood that to imply that if I sold product, I was willing to have someone look over what we do or at least be prepared to have "visitors" if someone got ill due to our syrup...

I'm not a fan of bigger government, or more regulation. But I do like the fact that in this country we have standards established to ensure that our grandkid's formula isn't produced in a re-purposed heating oil tank! Bottom line is that if you're producing a product for human consumption - it's either made right or it isn't. If I need surgery, it's good to know that the Dr. has spent the time and resources to learn his craft...Any thing less is akin to the fox guarding the hen house.

Not trying to stir things up, but the maple industry has lots of professionals who have invested heavily in sanitary best practice equipment and methods who compete with semi-pro hobbyists. Selling farm gate or at the sugar house is one thing, selling mainstream opens up another can of worms. My 2¢.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Agreed, safe food is important. Regulations, low bulk prices, expensive equipment....Maybe its time to go back to 50 buckets and a beer.
    3x8 Algier Evaporator. 600 gph Lapierre RO. 10" Filter press. We buy sap.

What about those that just sell sap? Will there be any registration requirement for them?
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

Since sap is not the final product, I would think not.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

I registered in late 2015, but since I sell most of my syrup retail I haven't needed it yet. As things change, for what Commercial I sell, I may need it, I retail everything else.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I registered in late 2015, but since I sell most of my syrup retail I haven't needed it yet. As things change, for what Commercial I sell, I may need it, I retail everything else.
    I am not sure in your state, but in Wisco., if you sell to one store you must have a food processing license, and therefore would have to be registered with the FDA. If you sell all of it direct to the consumer, then you wouldn't have to.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by amaranth farm View Post
    You only need to register if more than half of your total output is bulk sales to a packer. Do you?
    Actually, I believe you are referring to the exemption of a retail establishment. This means that your primary business is retail sales, and that you are selling half or more of your total product DIRECT to consumers (farm gate, mail order, CSA, farmer's market). Wholesale doesn't count as DIRECT sales.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    It's my understanding that the FDA registration is more about tracing a food products source in the event of tainted product. You agree to supply contact information and location(s).

It is not an endorsement by the FDA, the operator agrees to allow inspection if requested. I filled one out in '15 and received a reg number. I understood that to imply that if I sold product, I was willing to have someone look over what we do or at least be prepared to have "visitors" if someone got ill due to our syrup...

I'm not a fan of bigger government, or more regulation. But I do like the fact that in this country we have standards established to ensure that our grandkid's formula isn't produced in a re-purposed heating oil tank! Bottom line is that if you're producing a product for human consumption - it's either made right or it isn't. If I need surgery, it's good to know that the Dr. has spent the time and resources to learn his craft...Any thing less is akin to the fox guarding the hen house.

Not trying to stir things up, but the maple industry has lots of professionals who have invested heavily in sanitary best practice equipment and methods who compete with semi-pro hobbyists. Selling farm gate or at the sugar house is one thing, selling mainstream opens up another can of worms. My 2¢.
    I have seen what I feel is Govt over reach many times. and yet I agree with you on this one

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12