+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Season underway

Default Season underway

Hi Traders,

Had a nice visit yesterday with the Holscher family in Hobart, N.Y. who decided to start their season in November. This isn't a "fall tapping" situation where they're planning on two separate seasons. This is the very early start of what they hope to be a very long season, until April. They've made 500 gallons already...

https://www.themaplenews.com/video/o...tain-maple/50/
    The Maple News is the official monthly trade publication for the North American maple syrup industry.
    Subscription rates are $33/year and $60/2 years.
    Feel free to e-mail themaplenews@icloud.com for a sample copy or call us at 518-692-2204.
    Or click on www.themaplenews.com/subscribe

—The Maple News
    P.O. Box 88
    Rupert, VT 05768

I really enjoyed the video and I am interested as I am sure many others are to find out how their season ends up. I looked up Hobart and I am about 3 hours almost directly southwest from there just over the border in PA. With the exception of Monday this week has been too cold here for any sap runs.
    Jared

If this works, maybe the big producers in Canada could start early? October after the leaves fall, would help solve the world wide shortage of maple syrup, stabilize the bulk price! As my Friend and Bulk syrup buyer Henry Breeneman used to say you can make money at 2 dollars a pound!

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

amaranth farm Guest

Radio Silence.
    Last edited by amaranth farm; 04-06-2018 at 01:46 PM.

Yes, they plan to keep the same holes going through April. This is done through sanitation and keeping high vacuum on the lines pretty much 24/7. Lots of sugarmakers have had success tapping in December and capturing January runs, and then enjoying good production through April. The Holschers just got a month and a half head start. We will check back with them and see how they did...
    The Maple News is the official monthly trade publication for the North American maple syrup industry.
    Subscription rates are $33/year and $60/2 years.
    Feel free to e-mail themaplenews@icloud.com for a sample copy or call us at 518-692-2204.
    Or click on www.themaplenews.com/subscribe

—The Maple News
    P.O. Box 88
    Rupert, VT 05768

This year we had perfect weather in this area for tapping in November and getting sap out of the same holes through the end of the spring season. We had no real "warm" weather in November. By keeping the system leak-free, I have no doubt the tapholes will produce into April. The years where you wouldn't are the years where it warms into the sixties and seventies in November. This is the only reason I have not tapped in November. This was the perfect year to do it.
    Neil

Paging DrTimPerkins...

I'm curious to hear Dr Tim's (and other experts please feel free to weigh in as well) opinion on this. Assuming you can in fact keep the taphole open and all the way from November to April... should you? Does it put any stress on the trees to lose that much more stored sugar? Did people do this back in the years (way before my time) of paraformaldehyde? If so, was there any strain on the trees from doing so?
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by berkshires View Post
    I'm curious to hear Dr Tim's (and other experts please feel free to weigh in as well) opinion on this. Assuming you can in fact keep the taphole open and all the way from November to April... should you? Does it put any stress on the trees to lose that much more stored sugar? Did people do this back in the years (way before my time) of paraformaldehyde? If so, was there any strain on the trees from doing so?
    Ask me again in about 3 years.

To preface this post, note that our previous research has shown that the spring season has been moving earlier in the calendar year for at least the past 50 yrs. Models we have done indicate that the fall season (which most people ignore) is corresponding moving later and later in the calendar year. At some point, it is possible that these two very distinct seasons will merge into one (at least initially) longer season. At this point however, the two seasons are still separated by a fairly long period which traditionally could not be spanned -- a taphole would not be viable (produce sap) for that length of time (November through April) without experiencing a good amount of "taphole drying" and loss of yield. However, given all we've learned over the past 10-15 yrs about taphole sanitation, we've broadened the length of time a taphole is viable enough to make it worth investigating.

Note that this is a study I've been wanting to do for about the past 10 years. Other things kept getting in the way (funding being one). However, we were very fortunate to have just received funding to do it, thus this happens to be the last "major" study I initiate before I retire.

To start, we selected three groups of well matched trees. All will be on vacuum. Some we tapped in November. Of these, some will be let as, some will be drilled 1" deeper, and the rest will be reamed larger (they started at 1/4" rather than 5/16") and also drilled 1" deeper, as we get closer to the "normal" sugaring season. A forth group of those trees will have tubing to the first taphole cut and capped and a 2nd hole drilled 2" above the original taphole (to reduce adding more stained wood from a 2nd taphole). For all treatments that are changed, a new spout will be added when we redrill/ream.

Another set of trees will be tapped in mid-January. A subset of those will be drilled deeper in the spring. Another subset will be reamed and drilled deeper.

A final set of trees will be tapped at the more traditional time.

Altogether that makes 8 treatments, with 10 trees per treatment. Periodically we will measure sap yields and sugar contents. Study will be repeated for 3 years to account for seasonal variability. If you've seen the recent (December 2017) Vermont Maple Mainline https://www.uvm.edu/sites/default/fi...ember-2017.pdf the photo on the front cover shows just one section of the chambers we are using for that study. In total we have over 80 of those large chambers....research ain't always cheap.

Much of our research on climate change over the past several years leading up to this project has been funded donations from Tonewood https://www.tonewoodmaple.com/ The project I describe above is primarily funded by the USDA ACER ACCESS program and is also sponsored by Lapierre Equipment Co. (by a generous reduction in price for the chambers).

As far as "how much is too much"....that's a different question altogether (but related). We've started on that one a while back. We finished Yr 4 of a total of at least 5 Yrs...more likely it'll end up being 10 Yrs or more before the project is completely done (by which time I will be long gone), but we hope to release the 5 Yr results at the end of 2018 or beginning of 2019. So once again, I'll have to answer with "ask again" next year. We have a major publication planned that will summarize all our work (about 8 individual, but related projects) on what we call our "Sustainability" project. Should come out in about 2 Yrs.

So hopefully that illustrates that we tend to plan ahead a fair bit. You'll just have to stay tuned.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 01-02-2018 at 02:11 PM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Ask me again in about 3 years.

To preface this post, note that our previous research has shown that the spring season has been moving earlier in the calendar year for at least the past 50 yrs. Models we have done indicate that the fall season (which most people ignore) is corresponding moving later and later in the calendar year. At some point, it is possible that these two very distinct seasons will merge into one (at least initially) longer season. At this point however, the two seasons are still separated by a fairly long period which traditionally could not be spanned -- a taphole would not be viable (produce sap) for that length of time (November through April) without experiencing a good amount of "taphole drying" and loss of yield. However, given all we've learned over the past 10-15 yrs about taphole sanitation, we've broadened the length of time a taphole is viable enough to make it worth investigating.

Note that this is a study I've been wanting to do for about the past 10 years. Other things kept getting in the way (funding being one). However, we were very fortunate to have just received funding to do it, thus this happens to be the last "major" study I initiate before I retire.

To start, we selected three groups of well matched trees. All will be on vacuum. Some we tapped in November. Of these, some will be let as, some will be drilled 1" deeper, and the rest will be reamed larger (they started at 1/4" rather than 5/16") and also drilled 1" deeper, as we get closer to the "normal" sugaring season. A forth group of those trees will have tubing to the first taphole cut and capped and a 2nd hole drilled 2" above the original taphole (to reduce adding more stained wood from a 2nd taphole). For all treatments that are changed, a new spout will be added when we redrill/ream.

Another set of trees will be tapped in mid-January. A subset of those will be drilled deeper in the spring. Another subset will be reamed and drilled deeper.

A final set of trees will be tapped at the more traditional time.

Altogether that makes 8 treatments, with 10 trees per treatment. Periodically we will measure sap yields and sugar contents. Study will be repeated for 3 years to account for seasonal variability. If you've seen the recent (December 2017) Vermont Maple Mainline https://www.uvm.edu/sites/default/fi...ember-2017.pdf the photo on the front cover shows just one section of the chambers we are using for that study. In total we have over 80 of those large chambers....research ain't always cheap.

Much of our research on climate change over the past several years leading up to this project has been funded donations from Tonewood https://www.tonewoodmaple.com/ The project I describe above is primarily funded by the USDA ACER ACCESS program and is also sponsored by Lapierre Equipment Co. (by a generous reduction in price for the chambers).

As far as "how much is too much"....that's a different question altogether (but related). We've started on that one a while back. We finished Yr 4 of a total of at least 5 Yrs...more likely it'll end up being 10 Yrs or more before the project is completely done (by which time I will be long gone), but we hope to release the 5 Yr results at the end of 2018 or beginning of 2019. So once again, I'll have to answer with "ask again" next year. We have a major publication planned that will summarize all our work (about 8 individual, but related projects) on what we call our "Sustainability" project. Should come out in about 2 Yrs.

So hopefully that illustrates that we tend to plan ahead a fair bit. You'll just have to stay tuned.
    Cool! I Hope you'll let us know here when you have results to share!

One question - I'm not clear on whether the "fall through spring" experiment you talked about a lot in your post is the same as the "how much is too much" experiment. Are you saying you're doing the "fall through spring" experiment over what will wind up being 10 years to see if you have a dropoff in production compared to normally tapped trees? Or is there some other experiment to look at the "how much is too much" question?

I guess to put my question in a nutshell - it sounds like the experiments you're talking about are answering the question "To what degree can we actually do one extra-long season". The question I have is "With sustainability in mind, to what degree should we do one extra-long season".
    Last edited by berkshires; 01-02-2018 at 03:58 PM.
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

Will sugarmakers start tapping less trees if this becomes common practice?
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast