+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clear Plastic Syrup Jugs-Bottles?

3rd year sugaring in MA, now with 80 taps so i've started trying different bottles including plastic, and I'm curious and concerned with JesterV's questioning the safety of using plastic bottles at bottling temperature around 190 F. Til this year i've only bottled in glass, and the high temp of course sterilizes the bottle. So i figured the same would apply with the typical plastic maple syrup containers you find in stores -- I bought a bunch from The Maple Guys. But is that a mistake to bottle in those plastic containers at high temp? Are they really intended for bottling later at room temp?
    2022 is season 7
    2016: 20 taps on buckets, 4 gallons on a borrowed 2x3.
    2017: 32 taps on buckets, 8 gallons of syrup, on a "loaner" Lapierre 19x48.
    2018: 80 taps. First time tubing. New 10x12 sugar shack, Lapierre 2x5. Made 17 gallons
    2019: 100 taps. 22 gallons. Added a small RO 50 gph.
    2020: 145 taps, 30 gallons, sold half. Murphy cup is a great addition.
    2021: tapped Feb 23, 150 taps, 35 gallons.
    2022: 200 taps. I lost 50, added 100. Having fun but short season?

Quote Originally Posted by karl evans View Post
    Yes. They were very clear. Quality seemed fine but that would need tested.
    Hey Karl....Could you post a picture of an empty and filled clear plastic jug?

All maple syrup needs to be bottled (plastic or glass) at 180+F, below that you will get problems.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by bspiece View Post
    Hey Karl....Could you post a picture of an empty and filled clear plastic jug?
    I am sorry I can't because I never filled one yet, we gave away the samples they sent us. I see that D&G sells them now. We are still deciding if we should sell them. ( I never make decisions quick).
    35 years making syrup.
    President of Ohio maple producers
    4000 taps today...hopefully 5000 soon with some high yields tapped in 10 years?
    Leader Dealer
    Mountain cur for a woods partner

I would imagine any clear plastic honey containers would work....

Here are clear plastic bottles intended for maple syrup and the price is right. https://freundcontainer.com/pet-plas...tles/?v10312-B

The D&G containers seem pretty expensive!!

Quote Originally Posted by blaircountysugarin85 View Post
    Here are clear plastic bottles intended for maple syrup and the price is right. https://freundcontainer.com/pet-plas...tles/?v10312-B
    I brought 40 of these the other day. It cost me as much for shipping as I paid for the bottles, but all said and done delivered it was about $1.20 a bottle.

My first batch I filled them right to the top (overfilled them). Not realizing I put closer to 14 oz per bottle. The syrup expanded and deformed the plastic bottles and pushed out the bottom. Now they won’t stand up.

Second batch I put 12 oz in them and had better luck. A couple came out wobbly but I think it’s because I laid them on there side with the hot syrup

I plan on doing another batch this weekend and will try leaving them standing up after I cap them.

The jury is still out on them.

Want to resurrect this thread. Bigjohnsons, How did you fare with the plastic bottles?
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Sugar Bush Supply has clear plastic bottles they are bpa free also.We have used them with no trouble at all, clarity is good and take the heat with no problems.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12