+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First time filling my evaporator

Default First time filling my evaporator

OK, I bought a used 30x10' raised flue evaporator. Now what?? How do I fill the evaporator initially? Do I just fill both pans and fire it up? I'm pretty sure I'll need some sort of step-by-step procedure. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Ray

Default First time filling my evaporator

I know it will be a waste of wood, but run it with water for a good few hours. That will help you get a feel for how it runs. Keep an o-**** bucket handy.
    But yes, at the beginning of the season once you have enough sap to make it worth your while, just fill her up to a level your comfortable running it, and have at it.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

If you run it on water for a few hours, add some vinegar near the end to take off the hard water scale that will form on the pan.

If this is the first time you will run a continuous flow evaporator, you might want to go see someone else's in operation. That is a big rig to start out on!
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Dont start a fire untill you have a 1ich min in all pan areas. Raised flue should be filled from the from rear float box and then sap (water) should be held back with the float system in the front.
    It should boil at a rate of 80 GPH (at least) so have some water ready in the head tank to feed the rig.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

After you have gotten a little use from it on water drain completely. When you start your season, you want between 250 and 300 gal of sap before you run the first fire (or what was that much sap before running it thru an RO). That is what you need minimum to sweeten the pans. Once sweetened, they don't need to be drained unless a hard freeze is forecast (like 10 F or colder) Slush will form on the top but it will not freeze solid.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread