+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How does a 50 degree thermometer work?

Default How does a 50 degree thermometer work?

I need a syrup pan thermometer. I know how a standard thermometer works but I don't understand a 0-50 thermometer works. Does 0 = 212 deg F or what?

If it's what I think your referring to; it's used at the draw-off. It's adjustable and is set to zero at the boiling point of water. When you see 7 degrees over zero; it's time to start checking density...
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Correct, on the side of the thermometer face you will see an allen set screw. When you test for the boiling point of water at that time, you turn the face so 0 is at that boiling point and tighten the screw.
    However, since I got my auto draw I do not check. What I now check is my draw off density. When the draw off valve opens I test it from my draw off tank after the valve closes to be sure it is right. I wait til the valve closes because that way I get the average for the whole draw cycle. This is where a "Murphy cup" is handy.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks for the info!

It is a lot easier to read 7 on a thermometer than 219. Especially if you are doing other things he in the sigarhouse
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

+ Reply to Thread