+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hobby Water Jacket Bottle Filler

Hybrid View

Default Hobby Water Jacket Bottle Filler

Here is my first homebrew canner. Electric heat source in contact with a 4 gallon Baine Marie that I added a drain / spout to. A local kid did the welding nice work hey?
    Bottle Filler (1).jpg Bottle Filler (2).jpg

I've read enough here on MT to figure out that I needed to add a water jacket.
    Started by making an extension / bulkhead fitting

Extension Bulkhead Fitting (2).jpg

Turned a half coupling with a lip for accepting the heater element and square ring gasket.

Heater Fitting (1).jpg

The water jacket is 20 gauge galvanized (no contact with syrup) It has supports soldered inside that the baine marie sits on. A hole through the front of the water jacket where the extension screws through that clamps it in place and creates a water tight seal. 4 elevator bolts soldered onto the bottom to bolt it to the plywood base plate and a drain pipe.

Baine marie supports.jpg
    Zucker Lager

Here are the remaining pictures:

Water Jacket.jpg Water Jacket Mounting Bolts and Drain.jpg Heater Fitting (2).jpg

Next will be insulation, a heater control, assemble it all then try it out! Jay
    Zucker Lager

Nice job on the bottler, but I've got to say "That's the largest assortment of pliers and cutters I've ever seen on one wall!"
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Nice job. I also plan on making a hot water bath bottler this winter. Like yours, I also want to expose more of my syrup tank to the hot water, ie. taller water tank, and insulate it as well. I am curious as to how you sealed the outlet, preventing water from leaking out around your filler spout. I take it you will be able to remove the syrup tank for cleaning it and the water tank. Thanks.

Hey Bricklayer I wasn't sure how much heat that would take????? Maybe I'll replace it with some aluminum faced fiberglass hard board insulation. I'm sure that would take the heat. We used to use that hard fiberglass insulation for steam piping and it held up well. Thanks for the tip.
    Hey Maple Flats yes it is grounded I guess its really just a mini water heater so same as a house water heater it can have issues with galvanic reaction. Stainless is always better but $$$$ Jay
    Zucker Lager

The ground I speak of would be best if it is a 8 or 10 ga. copper stranded wire clamped snug to the surface of the outer jacket and run direct to a ground clamp to be most effective. The usual ground connection is not enough to keep electrolysis in check. It satisfies the safety aspect but not the electroplating that tries to start in the water between the inner and outer shells, for that you want the extra ground with the galvanized outer and a SS inner.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Hey UPnorth:
    To seal the spout / bain marie from the water jacket I cut two gaskets from thin teflon that is about as hard as Tupperware plastic. one goes in front of the bain marie spout and that is inside the water jacket wall then the second gasket goes outside the water jacket wall and the extension screws through that and the small hole in the jacket and inner gasket to "clamp" it all tight to the water jacket like a bulkhead fitting That is wrench friendly with the flats I cut into it and will be how I remove it for cleaning. The only thing I might do differently there is to use 1 1/8 inch instead of 7/8 dia stainless to make the fitting for the bain marie and the extension for a little larger gasket purchasing area. The thread on the extension is silver soldered into the extension body and matches the thread of the tapper spout I think it was M16 - 1.5 ? JFYI I cheated and used a stainless bolt so I didn't have to single point cut that thread I just drilled the bolt out and cut it to length.. Jay
    Zucker Lager

While testing the Bottler I found that when I filled the water jacket with the bain marie empty it tried to float so I installed a bracket at the top and soldered in the rear half of the cover to fab a way to fasten the bain marie so it would not float. Here are pics of the insulation. Testing went well heated up fast and stayed at proper temp in the bain marie Plus / Minus about 5 degrees. Jay

12 Insulation and Base.jpg 14 Heater and Control Wiring.jpg 13 Heater Element Cover.jpg 15 Completd Bottler.jpg
    Zucker Lager

Lastly I did install a fitting so I can fit a thermometer into the water jacket and made a filter bay out of a 2/3 rds size steam table pan that is a snug fit into the top of the bain marie. I'm hoping that the heat from the bottler will pre heat the filter bay if I keep it covered. Was a fun project can't wait to use it. But its still teens below zero at night and single digits daytime here in Sugar Camp Wisconsin Jay

Filter (2).jpg Filter (1).jpg 16 Bottler With Filter.jpg
    Zucker Lager

Very cool project. I like your filtering idea. Could you share what control you used for the heating element? I would like to put one of these together but am a novice when it comes to rigging the heating element aspect.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast