+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What app do you use to map your tubing installation

Default What app do you use to map your tubing installation

Just put in a tubing installation and would like to map the wet/dry trunk and all the main lines. What app have you used to do this.

I would like to have an app that tracks my progress as I walk each line. I know there are several apps that do it but curious if people really like one for our application.
    1,500+ taps
    H20 600 GPH RO
    3x13 Hurricane Force 5
    7.5" Poly Pneumatic Press
    We offer a farm to table breakfast during season!
    Hollis Hills Farm

I am currently using Gaia GPS on a droid. I store the lines in a Track and add some specific waypoints for points of note. Lets me export the track & special waypoints to a KML which I can pull directly into Google Earth Pro. I also used it for a tree measuring and marking exercise in which I started a track and marked waypoints for every tree I measured. I entered the diameters in the waypoint note field. I was not looking for tree location accuracy so much as a visual on each section of the woods, tree density, etc. I was able to export the track to a .CSV and paste into excel for simple inventory. Dropping in a formula based on diameter, I was able to generate tap counts and figure out line sizes, etc.
    2017 1st yr, 425 taps on 3/16
    2018 600? taps on 3/16
    Grimm 42" x 8'
    Sap house in a converted milkhouse
    www.whistlepigpumpkin.com

I have used a garmin 60csx and added the tracks to garmin topo map program but now prefer using goggle earth. You can zoom in and find specific trees that are were turns, ladders and all your lines if you have an idea of the lay of your land.

Using this program and some use of measuring tools will show how close you can put your mains for the best return on investment or how to save money by putting mains closer together and saving a bunch on lateral lines.

I'm like mountainvan, I just use a sheet if paper to sketch. It shows (not to scale) the tank, the conductor lines and the mains. The laterals are not on it. All valves are indicated, all sap ladders and the tap count on each line.
    Not on the map, but on the saddles, I bought some plastic tags that I hang at each saddle with a count of taps on that lateral like these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JVBMQ5Q...a-307689047973
    I don't remember who I ordered them from, but those are similar. When I ordered I just searched the web for the best price and ordered. I use a permanent marker to write on them. If I notice a lateral has too many, this helps me decide which to make into 2 lines. (I have both 5/16 laterals with 3-7 taps and 3/16 lines with 14-42 taps, that 42 is going to be made into 2 lines this year)
    When I make a sketch in the field, I designate the mains by a letter. Then at home I redraw it neater, and then I copy it and make a few copies. I then laminate a copy or 2 to be used in the field
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

The combination of a handheld GPS like the 60csx or similar and importing the information into Google earth is hard to beat when done right. I have a Rino 650 I use so have never tried the phone apps. Doing all the laterals would be far too cluttered on a large Bush. But its perfect for dry/wet lines, roads, trails etc. You can color coordinate everything as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainvan View Post
    Not to be a smartaz, but I use paper, pen, and my brain.
    Me too because if I tried to use one of those fancy electronic things I might just throw it at a squirrel
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

Last year was our first season to learn and begin tapping a 30 acre woods that I recently purchased. Once I figured out what I was generally trying to achieve, I started planning out the bush with Google Earth and lots and lots of walks in the woods. First I walked and plotted roadways on the mountain with Gaia. Then I placed a topographic map layer on top of Goggle earth. My bush is on a steep mountain, and has different aged sections, which are generally visible on GE. Using the topo layer and visual details on GE I was able to plan where my collection lines should go, as well as calculate the slope of the lines across the face of the mountain. I have major issues with the roads (skid trails) running up the mountain and the lines running across the face. I tinkered a lot on GE with that issue. With those plans, I was able to build a pretty accurate bill of material for the two lines we put in last year plus plan future lines when for when things take off. While I used the plans to figure out where to start the actual lines, I still used hand-level to get the real life slope across the face of the mountain. After everything was in, I went back and plotted where the actual lines landed. Combined with tree & tap counts, I can get some interesting density calculations, etc by measuring polygons drawn over the areas I have plotted.

I have attached a picture of the bush in GE. Orange lines are roadways, light blue lines are 3/4" collection lines, dark blue is the main line down the mountain. The lines drain towards the top of the picture. The green fields are the flats on the other side of a 20' creek.

Again, I am still learning and planning, so the key for me is the ability to plot, measure and change things quickly as I try and figure out how best utilize the woods.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 1st yr, 425 taps on 3/16
    2018 600? taps on 3/16
    Grimm 42" x 8'
    Sap house in a converted milkhouse
    www.whistlepigpumpkin.com

Layout.jpg
    done with google earth
    Maplecherry

You may want to try looking to see if your local town office has a link to the GIS map for your area. They are detailed maps with property boundaries and Topographic overlays. Most of the satellite imagery for the maps is winter or spring images with no leaves on the trees so you can see the ground in the forests and find landmarks such as rocks to map your lines. The site that my town uses also includes a linear distance layout tool so you can get a rough estimate of tubing needed for a run.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

I use Motion X on my iPhone. I have used to for 10 or so years and it works great.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

+ Reply to Thread