+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Small transfer pump recommendation

Default Small transfer pump recommendation

Looking for recommendations on a (budget friendly) pump, that wont take forever, to pump sap from atv tanks (15 & 55 gallon drum) to a 275 gallon tote. I can drive right to it so I don't have to pump far. I would usually be pumping 50-100 gallons at a time. There is electricity close by but am open to gas powered pumps also.

I currently do it the old fashioned way, one 6 gallon bucket at a time..

I appreciate any input.

I use a boat bilge pump. It works pretty well and is not very expensive.
    Chad

2014: 12 taps, 5 gal buckets
    2015: 15 taps on bags
    2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 225 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press
    2018: 180 taps: Added Shurflo to 50 - 3/16", Auto fill sensor to head tank
    2019: No tapping
    2020: 175 taps
    2021: 300 taps, homemade RO and releaser
    2022: 600+ taps

Harbor Freight has a 1" pump, similar to the Honda WX-10, for around $150 that pumps 35 gallons per minute. With their 20% off coupon, it is around $120. We have one of these as a backup transfer pump and they pump well, but are more difficult to start than our Honda. If you consider one, replace the Chinese spark plug with an NGK and you will find it starts much easier.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

I just bought a couple of small 12 volt Seaflo 5.5gpm diaphragm pumps for sap transfer to try next season. They are about $100 including adaptor fittings. Going to use one for sap transfer from a 50 gallon barrel up a hill to my sugarhouse, and will use another one for pumping a roadside barrel to a tank on my truck. I have only tested it as a sap vacuum pump so far, it works as good as the Shurflo 4008 for that purpose, with almost twice the flow rate. Draws about 4x more power though. The Seaflo pumps are marketed to the marine industry but the materials internal to the pump are the same ones used in other diaphragm pumps like Shurflo which are rated for potable water, so it seems like it will be fine for sap. We'll see how they hold up.
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

im with Doc on this one 12 volt Bilge pump,fast and compact and around $50
    2x6 RAISED FLUE PANS
    by WF MASON
    650 taps on vac.
    100 on bags

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MISugarDaddy View Post
    Harbor Freight has a 1" pump, similar to the Honda WX-10, for around $150 that pumps 35 gallons per minute. With their 20% off coupon, it is around $120. We have one of these as a backup transfer pump and they pump well, but are more difficult to start than our Honda. If you consider one, replace the Chinese spark plug with an NGK and you will find it starts much easier.
    Gary
    That's funny, I was actually looking at that same pump a couple days before I posted looking for recommendations. It seems like it would get the job done quickly compared to the electric pumps. Though I like the idea of an electric pump for the obvious reasons (no filling, fighting to get started, etc.), it just seems like the others may take longer than me doing it the old fashioned way of draining the 55 gallon drum into one bucket and then dumping it into the 275gal tote while the other bucket is filling. (I know the old fashioned way sounds ridiculous to most, but I'm cheap and it's fairly fast to empty the drums off the wheeler that way)

You guys that use the bilge pumps, about how long do you think it'd take to empty the 55 gallon drums up into the tote? (sorry for my ignorance).

Thanks again and any other suggestions or input is greatly appreciated.

Here is another option.

https://www.harborfreight.com/lawn-g...gph-63316.html

I personally have not used one of these but was looking at getting one for a transfer pump get pump sap up to my head tank.
    It looks like that if there is not a lot of elevation that you will be lifting the sap it would get the job done fairly quickly, about 25 gals/min.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

I use a larger Rule pump that pumps 30+ gals/minute but they make all sizes. I use the UTV battery to power the pump. very very simple.
    Chad

2014: 12 taps, 5 gal buckets
    2015: 15 taps on bags
    2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 225 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press
    2018: 180 taps: Added Shurflo to 50 - 3/16", Auto fill sensor to head tank
    2019: No tapping
    2020: 175 taps
    2021: 300 taps, homemade RO and releaser
    2022: 600+ taps

https://jet.com/product/detail/5ce0b...xoCxtkQAvD_BwE

I have a couple of these and they pump pretty good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast