+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Small transfer pump recommendation

So I received a water pump for Christmas. It was an expensive gift with a lot of thought behind it. It checks all of the boxes, pumps at 3.5 gallons, can run dry, self priming, 12v, 4 diaphragms, but, it is meant for washing down a deck of a boat and not for potable water.

The parts that come in contact with the liquid are: glass filed polyprpolene, santoprene, nitrile, stainless steel. The only difference with their potable pumps is instead of santoprene, they use monprene.

I know some people use bilge pumps, or submersible pumps that are also not designed for potable water.

I am okay using this pump and not taking the shine off of a great gift, or do I go back to the gift giver to see if he could exchange the pump? He may have got a deal on this pump, that may not be available for other pumps.

Edit: I read about santoprene, the only component that touches the liquid, that is different from the potable pumps and it is considered food safe. So it may have to do with how the bearings seal, or simply the company did not want to go through the expense of getting the pump certified for this application.

This may now free up some cash to build the RO.
    Last edited by Swingpure; 12-25-2021 at 02:01 AM.
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

I have run into this before. I have used several different diaphragm pumps, I am not a chemist or materials expert but here are my experiences. What I do is look for one rated for potable or drinking water use. Sometimes a pump does not specifically say that it is potable water rated but the materials are the same as ones that are potable water rated. Same materials, santoprene etc, same ratings maybe? If a pump is marketed for bilge pump, waste water, sewage, or sprayer use I tend to avoid it. I like diaphragm pumps made by Shurflo, Delavan, USA Adventure Gear, Uniflo, some Seaflo, which I believe all state that they are rated for potable water. The black polypropylene housings generally seem to be OK. I don’t believe fluid is exposed to any bearings internally. Those are just my thoughts, do your own research and let us know what you find.
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

So the Whale pump I got for Christmas had a 1/2” npt inlet outlet, so I tried to find an adapter fitting from 1/2 npt to a garden hose thread, but I could find anything that would screw onto the 1/2” male npt. The only thing that would go on it was the plastic fitting that came with the pump that had a barb on it.

I went to a plumbing store and the guy looked at it and said that the plastic fitting was all that would fit on it. I did not feel that the plastic fittings would hold up to the stresses of a RV hose being moved around. I decided to make a short piece of garden hose, attached one end to the barb on the plastic fitting and added a fitting with a garden hose male fitting and a barb, then secure that piece, to remove the stress on the plastic fitting.

It looks like a real redneck fix and one friend said it looked like I was making a bomb. I hooked it up to my ATV and everything worked and it did not leak.

I still had air in the pump, but I guess that finds a way to work itself out.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/092l...PyEqho7fwzu4AQ
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

A Shurflo or swivel fitting fits best, but I have found that a standard 1/2" NPT threaded PVC coupler will fit if you are careful to avoid cross threading it. Then you can adapt to other fittings. Using pipe sealant helps it thread easier. Metal NPT threaded fittings tend to strip the pump threads easily so I try to avoid them.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

Looks pretty good Gary. If it works don't try to fix it or change it until something happens.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345