+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Small transfer pump recommendation

Well I'm leaning towards this pump http://www.amazon.com/WAYNE-PC4-Mult.../dp/B0002YQUBM (even though its more than I originally wanted to spend). Those boat bilge pumps look nice too but I wish they came in 115v and I'm guessing they can't be wired for it. Those gas Predator pumps look like they'd get the job done quickly but not sure I wanna go that route.

Weathers calling for -18 come Saturday so I have a little time to decide yet(procrastinate).

Thanks for all the ideas and keep em coming if anyone has anymore.
    Last edited by Wannabe; 01-29-2018 at 09:57 PM.

Reading through all of the different pumps folks are using to transfer sap. I'm looking for one as well, my biggest concern is whether these units are actually appropriate for sap? We're making a food product and therefore need something made for that application. Any intel on that?

That was going to be my comment too. With whatever pump you use, look for at least "good for potable water" or food grade. Many do not have food safe seals, they might pump well, but contaminate every gallon they pump.
    The housing, impeller and seals should be designed for food.
    Lots of the pumps referred to in this thread are using recycled plastics, which could have been in contact with almost anything.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

You got it Dave. Hard part is finding a pump that meets that criteria. Still looking...

amaranth farm Guest

Radio Silence.
    Last edited by amaranth farm; 04-06-2018 at 01:56 PM.

Since you're right up next to the tank, you'll get the full flow rate of a pump (unlike if you pump uphill). If you can wait 10min per barrel, then a pump rated at 5GPM is all you need.

I like my diaphragm pumps because they are cheap, they don't get hurt if they run dry and you don't need to prime them. If you go this route, then brushless motors will last longer so consider using your ATV battery instead of the 120v plug.

A side/future benefit might be re-purposing the pump as a sap-sucker when it's not working on transfers. Diaphragm pumps do that job well for small timers and wannabe's!

I second the comments on using food grade pumps. Look for pumps that handle *drinking water*, and that market is with RV/boat systems and home brew. Larger pumps will be well pumps or booster pumps for well water. "Clear water" does not mean drinking water and "portable" is not always potable (if you search for "potable", Google will give you "portable" hits as well).

Good luck and, now that we're all involved here, let us know how it all works out!
    Jamie Jones
    2017 - 120 taps, 68G syrup - automated pumping from collection to head tank
    2016 - 118 taps (about half on 3/16"), 60G syrup
    2015 - 115 taps, 58G syrup - new wireless blower switch and remote pump switch from tank to shack
    2014 - 120 taps, 53G syrup - hobby vac
    2013 - 120 taps, 40G syrup - Sunrise Metal 2x6, 12x14 sugarhouse
    2012 - 44 taps, 6G syrup -gravity tube, 4 steam pans on block arch, plastic greenhouse shack - (I'm hooked!)

I'm going to use a Seaflo 51-series pump this year for sap transfer, it is 5.5gpm which is good enough for me. It doesn't really say clearly that it is rated drinking water safe, but looking into the documentation, the internal materials are the same as Shurflo pumps which are rated for drinking water. Uses Polypropylene, Viton, stainless steel, santoprene for pump head, diaphragm, and valves which all look to be food safe. Only possible difference is color of housing (orange vs. black). Any chemists out there?
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

This works very well for us.....I use this with an RV drinking water hose
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

Well, I ended up buying this utility pump https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/sup...uperior%20pump just before season started, it was on sale at the time at fleet for like $35. With my closed tanks on the 4wheeler for collecting, I have to first drain down into a 6 gallon bucket where I have this pump sitting in. With the garden hose attached it can pump up into my tote as fast as it drains down into the bucket. It sure beats lugging buckets up to the top of the tote and dumping em in by hand every time like I did in the past.

I know it's not 'food grade', and I'm sure the garden hose isn't either. I did make sure and pump a lot of fresh water through both before I used it for sap. I see no ill effects in my syrup/sap, but my back and legs sure are liking me better.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by maplebird View Post
    Reading through all of the different pumps folks are using to transfer sap. I'm looking for one as well, my biggest concern is whether these units are actually appropriate for sap? We're making a food product and therefore need something made for that application. Any intel on that?
    I am still struggling finding a food grade or potable pump. There are the RV ones. This was an inexpensive one that says it is a fresh water pump.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Lippert-689052...ustomerReviews

I would rather have a true outdoor transfer pump. I was concerned about the Wayne cast iron ones. I was leaning towards one, then one of the reviews talked about rusty water coming out, which would obviously be bad for the sap. The brew pumps would be good, but I don’t think they would be good for outdoor use.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast