+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: December Journal

Installed 1,200 drops over the last couple days. Shooting to get another 1200ish drops in the 1st 40 by the end of the week! Then setting pumps and off to the next 40!
    Maple Man 85
    Anthony & Rebecca Renken
    2017=200 taps
    2018=4000 taps (goal) 3000 taps (actual)
    2019=7000 taps (goal)
    30x45 Sugar House
    4x16 Leader Vortex
    www.northwoodsmaplefarm.com

Holiday sales looked to finish strong, about 40 cases sold in December with a big push the last 3 days. Now looking to to find another 800-1000 taps and hopefully find some sap sellers. Anyone near Green Bay we will buy any amount of sap.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

This is the text message I got from my partner today after a day in the bush. We do 400 taps ourselves and all the woods work for 5400 taps in another bush. We work 40+ hour/week jobs and do our best. I haven’t laughed this hard in a while, true story :

“Just thought I’d give you an update on the maple. I fell on my head into the ice twice!! Rolled the snowmobile over .. yup two times and into a tree. I fell while walking up the mountain while carrying the mainline tool and smacked myself in the face.. bad headache could be black eye in the morning!! Pretty good day!! Ohh I fixed a couple of main lines.”

Merry Christmas everyone! I picked my new custom built by Bill Mason arch last Sunday. Because of the latest snow storm and other holiday season commitments I haven't had much time to get it bricked yet. I did center it in the sugar house, leveled it and installed the blower. My son in law and I had a couple of boiling sodas and stood around and looked at it too.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

That's a great story! We've all had days similar to that. As a joke (or maybe not as a joke?) you should give your partner a full-face helmet and tell him to wear it next time he's in the woods!
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket Head View Post
    That's a great story! We've all had days similar to that. As a joke (or maybe not as a joke?) you should give your partner a full-face helmet and tell him to wear it next time he's in the woods!
    I called today to verify he was still alive and suggested he look at upping his life insurance.
    All kidding aside, glad he's OK. Be careful out there. We always try to work in pairs but couldn't get our schedules to line up with the holidays. I'm sure it was hell using snowshoes with a half inch of ice crust on top of 1 foot of snow. Got another 8-10" today so we'll see how it is tomorrow in the woods.

Had to kick out an squatter from the shack today, he put up a little fight but managed to evict him.....or her, not really sure.

I would like to start videoing some of my map,e syrup and farm adventure, if you interest subscribe to my channel, I am new to it, but really enjoying doing it.

Here is my latest video....

Thanks for watching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by deckers007; 12-25-2017 at 09:17 PM.
    2015 Year 4 200 taps - 15 Gallons
    2016 Year 5 200 taps - 23 gallons
    2017 Year 6 200 Buckets, 100 on 3/16 gravity)
    2018 Year 7 200 Buckets , 175 on 3/16 with shurflo 4008

Patrick Phaneuf 2x6 raised flue
    Polaris 6x6, 1990 Alpine Ski-doo
    Sugar shack - 12X24 with 8x14 wood shed

After a great production season and an excellent year of sales, I decided to add on this year and double the size of the sugarhouse. The new addition is 16x22 and it will primarily be for sap storage but will also have an area for storing syrup barrels. I may even add a small coolbot walk-in at some point for storing open barrels.

I scored a used 1500 gal. round bottom ss tank for sap and purchased a 700 gallon tank for concentrate. The 1500 gal. tank will overflow into the 700 gal. so I should not have to worry about overflowing tanks ever again. I'll be using my old 400 gal. ss tanks for permeate now. This year they will be in this new addition, but next year I will be moving them under a small shed roof off the east side of the addition.

I poured the slab back in November before it got cold but completed the framing and roof (just in time for the last storm) over the last few weeks. I'll be moving the tanks in this next week and then plumbing them up to be ready for sap by the end of January.

addition1.jpgaddition2.jpg
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Left the shack this morning and it was 10 below. No wind makes it bearable but the high was only 2 above. Nice to a have heated kitchen for lunch. 3 more short mainlines done. Big push is on for January to begin tapping Feb.1st.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12