+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3/16" Two hand tubing tool.

Default 3/16" Two hand tubing tool.

I'm planning to buy a 3/16" Two hand tubing tool. Bascoms has a Lapierre with no cutter or flare for only $138. Anyone know how well it works? Any other alternatives or suggestions? I think I can get by without a cutter and flare for my 200 taps. Thanks.

You can get by with a PVC/Pex tubing cutting from home depot they are single hand action and will cut the tubing clean and square. It shouldn't cost more than 30 dollars. I use a ridgid PC-1375 tubing cutter but I bought that to plumb a house with pex tubing.

You can use the hot water method to put the tubing on the fittings. Its slower and more cumbersome but will work. Basically you fill a thermos with hot water and stick about an inch of tubing in the water for a few seconds and them push the tubing on the barb by hand. Once the tubing cools, which takes another 10 seconds or so, it's all set to go. They make something called the "hot end system" which is the commercial battery powered equivalent of using a thermos of hot water but that system also cost a couple hundred dollars.

I considered making a tubing tool but using the hot water method has been very easy so far.
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

cjadamec is right, the hot thermos will get you by just fine if you want to save the money. I just put up 2500+ feet and 100 taps with 3/16th and I carried a hot thermos on a strap that set upright on my chest. If you can find a lid that will screw on it then drill a hole just a bit larger than the tubing and you can walk right along with it. I filled it with boiling water to start and it lasted a good 2-3 hours. Fittings slipped on easily and cooled fast. I tried pulling some apart to test and they would not budge. I think the warm tubing molds to the fitting even better.

I use Kobalt cutter from Lowes....works great

The hot water system will work well until you go to cut drops in, replace drops, repair chews, take some slack out mid way down the run, etc, etc. etc. Anything you do not want to lose your tension basically. I have less than 200 taps on tubing and still thought it was money very well spent for a two handed tool. I had "Psparr" here on the forums build me one for a very reasonable price. Should last me for a very long time.

I also still have a 5/16" one handed tool that works very well for 3/16" just by slipping a short 2 1/2" chunk (slit down the side) over the 3/16" then pressing in the fittings. I use this one for the spouts, making the drops and installing to the saddles.

EDIT: Oh, and to answer the question. lol Yes, you can get away without a cutter. Mine has a cutter, but there are certain situations it won't work for what I need to do. I have used diagonal cutters, tin snips and even a pocket knife when I didn't have anything else on me and I was kind of in a pickle to make a cut.
    Last edited by wnybassman; 12-01-2017 at 02:23 PM.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

I agree with Noel...a two handed tool is the best way to cut in drops and do repairs. I have one from Lapiere one of the better $175 I ever spent.
    Run your tube through the woods, come back later and tension if needed then cut in your drops. Find a bad spot or a leak, and it's a piece of cake to
    cut out bad section and replace with new. $138 for one with no cutter, plus $30 for a PVC cutter is $168. Spend the extra $7 and you'll have both at the ready.
    Only down side is that you'll also lose both in the snow at the same time...

2 hand tool.JPG
    Last edited by johnallin; 12-01-2017 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Wynbassman and johnallin, you are right about cutting in drops and repairs. I decided By next year I will want to have a two handed tool. However , for this year the hot water bottle worked just fine as I was putting my tubing up, because I would go back and put the final tension on my tubing after all my tees and drops were in. I saw real quick that it would not go as easy once I had my lines at full tension. My comment was with the understanding he was just putting up tubing.

Last year I did the hot water method for installing 60 taps on 3/16. This year I built a tubing tool and installed an additional 80 taps. After using a tubing tool I will never go back to hot water again. Yes it works fine and will get you by but having the tubing tool gives you so many advantages that everyone has already listed.

Here is the tool I built. A variation of the 2 handed tool on a one handed clamp. Cost me around $60 for the materials and used a friends welder for the spot welds. And I have very minimal welding experience.

IMG_3120.jpg IMG_3121.jpg
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

mol1jb, That is a pretty neat idea....can I steal that? How well does it work? I already have the clamps and channel locks. I was trying to think of a way to make one out of a set of pruner handles, but I like that idea.

Just ordered a tool from psparr. Looks like the right way to go. Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by vach50 View Post
    Just ordered a tool from psparr. Looks like the right way to go. Thanks for your help!
    You won't be disappointed. Just used a 5/16 tool he made for the first time today. Worked great, every bit as good if not better than what maple suppliers sell.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast