+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Silver Creek evaporator pans, any good?

Default Silver Creek evaporator pans, any good?

Was wondering if anyone used these pans. If so, how well they worked out for you?

I'm expanding production this year as we ran out of syrup quite quickly last season, giving most away. I currently have 40 sugars marked for taps (versus 7 from last year) and was looking at this sellers evap pan. I just don't think steam trays are going to cut it for 40 trees. I was particularly looking at the basic 16"x40" pan with a draw off valve. I've already come up with a arch design around this pan using concrete blocks.

I'm also considering using a barrel. the pan would have to be shorter of course but I'm really trying to do this on a dime. I'd much rather save extra cash for a WF Mason 2x4.

Bonus Points:

When placing a pan such as this would you need to shim one side so as the thicker sap flows to the valve, or leave it level?

Looking at the site the pans seem alright but are too shallow. The 16 x 40 is only 4 inches deep and will easily foam over. It is also an odd size. I would look for a 2 x 4 divided pan that you can put on the mason when you get it or even use it on a 2 x 6. If at all possible get the mason or equivalent now and you will be much happier. Keep the pan level the syrup will flow. At that size you will probably be batch processing and the dividers will not do much good but will help once you go to a larger size and use that pan.

Darn... you’re completely right about the foam. I didn’t even consider that as a factor. Funny thing about steam trays is that they never foamed up and over. I’m sure there’s some thermodynamic reason for that. Not hot enough maybe.

The 16”x40” is an awkward size but it fit perfectly for the arch I was going to build. I happened to find this pan doing a google search and was sure that when done with it I could resell it. But the manufacturer had no reviews posted on their website, so I’m a bit reluctant. However the price is **** good compared to the welders in my area.

Regarding trees, I would definitely have the volume to expand to a continuous flow system. I’m simply lacking the capital needed to purchase said equipment and the means to shield this equipment from the elements.

Does anyone have experience in purchasing pans from WF Mason? Mainly a 2x4? Perhaps I could purchase the pan now and the arch in about a year or so...

WF Mason makes excellent equipment. I've never heard a bad comment about his pans or evaporators.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Bill does great work. Have used his equipment for years. No problems and he is great to work with
    2023 2x5 Smoky Lake
    170 taps on 3/16 tubing
    50 buckets

Quote Originally Posted by Flatpan1 View Post
    Bill does great work. Have used his equipment for years. No problems and he is great to work with
    I agree. I use several pieces of his equipment. Highly recommend.
    Miscoe Hill Maple
    2015 PJ Evaporator (Phaneuf) 2x6 drop flue
    2x6 WF Mason Arch
    ~250 taps on a Guzzler & Shurflo
    12x20 WF Mason Filter/Canner
    12x16 Sugarhouse

Bill has great pans. Very nice designs on his raised flue pans as well. We have his drop tube system. You will need deep pans. They do foam up and boil hard.
    Steve

2x8 Mason drop tube evaporator
    420 Taps
    3 surflo pumps on 5/16
    79 gallons of syrup made
    New kitchen addition to sap house
    400 taps
    52 gallons syrup made

LasermanGB Guest

Hi All. I've been lurking on the forum for years as i helped my neighbor with sap and syrup. This year I am setting up my own operation and just bought my first pan. I looked at all of them. I looked at the Mason pans but determined that the pans built out of thin metal were better. I ended up wishing for a Smoky Lake pan but they were pretty expensive. I settled on a Badgerland pan as the quality appeared good and the price was excellent. To my surprise, my Badgerland pan was delivered to me by a Smoky Lake truck. It turns out Badgerland is a sister company of Smoky Lake. To say the least, I'm very happy. I recommend Badgerland or Smoky Lake to EVERYONE. I will speak loudly and often bout the professionalism and quality of this company. They are only about an hour from me and I since took a ride down to their showroom, I was blown away with what I saw. To notch, all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by KJamesJR View Post
    Does anyone have experience in purchasing pans from WF Mason? Mainly a 2x4? Perhaps I could purchase the pan now and the arch in about a year or so...
    Bill Mason as been a friend of mine for years. I purchased my RO through him. He built me a custom feed tank, a draw off/finisher pan and new for this year an air tight arch for my 2x6 evaporator. Bill does good work for reasonable prices.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread