+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Firebox help

Default Looking for Firebox help

Several years ago, I took part of my woodshed and turned it into a 10'x15' sugarhouse. I used 2 modified wood stoves and finished the syrup on a propane burner.

I now have a 220 gal tank (60"x24") and have finished welding it up to hold 3 full size steam pans.

My plan for the firebox is 20" deep, 17" wide, 16" from the grates to the bottom of the first two pans. The flue will be about 2.5" deep under the 3rd pan and runs to the 6"x12' stack, which is about a foot beyond the 3rd pan. I'm thinking this will work for the firebox.

Any comments or suggestions before I weld up the frame and do the brickwork?
    Attachment 16871 Attachment 16872 Attachment 16873

How about sloping the back of the firebox so that the flames can shoot up to that last pan.
    3x8 Algier Evaporator. 600 gph Lapierre RO. 10" Filter press. We buy sap.

Do you have covers to put in place where the pans go fir when you start consolidating near the end? I would parobably make the fire box as large as you can, I think mine is like 24" deep. Also if you can get a fan it makes a lot of difference in evaporation rate. If possible consider building it in a way so you can expand, maybe a 2x3 pan. Others would probably suggest a ceramic blanket insulation or fireproof foam board. Where did you find the glass for your door?
    2019- RO
    2018- 25 taps made 8 gal syrup.
    2017- 25 taps -built a 2x3 flat pan, and a fuel tank arch for it. 335 gal 7.34gal syrup.

2016- 15 taps, 4.3gal syrup boiling on cinderblock arch 3 roasting pans, 1 redneck trash can with a pot, and a turkey fryer.

2015- 4 taps 44 gals of sap made 2.25 gal of lite syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by nhdog View Post
    Any comments or suggestions before I weld up the frame and do the brickwork?
    Attachment 16871 Attachment 16872 Attachment 16873
    It looks pretty darn close to the wall in the back there...you will need some protection on that wall if you don't move the rig out further.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

I agree with the others suggestions. The two things I think you should address is how close that thing is to an OSB wall. I would line that firebox with ceramic blanket and then brick over it. I also wonder if the pans should not be farther back. I will wager that first pan won't boil very well, draft naturally wants to pull your heat backwards towards the flue. You have room to set them back.
    Last edited by buckeye gold; 11-26-2017 at 07:23 AM.

Default Looking for Firebox help

Thanks for all your inputs.
    First of all, I have a metal heat shield running up behind the arch and stack. I took it down temporarily while putting the stack up.
    Yup, I have 3 covers to cover the openings when i remove the pans.
    I got the glass from an old wood stove. Then I made a door to fit it and the arch.
    I plan to insulate the box and add AUF through the draft/ash cleanout door under the grates.
    Yeah, I agree that front pan probably won't boil too well as it is now.
    A couple more questions:
    Is it more effective to extend the firebox partially under the third pan, or is it better to force the flue path up a few inches beneath the pan bottom?
    Would putting a damper in the stack help keep some of the heat in? Or would the restriction reduce the firebox burn?
    Thanks for all your help

May also want to clean up the straw around the rig...big fire hazard with coals dropping out of firebox
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Most likely you only want 1.5" under the rear pan not 2.5". You want to push the heat up to the pan. One way to calculate it is measure the stack area, then divide that by the width of the arch, the answer is about how much space you want under the 3rd pan.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I'm confused my base stack is 6x22 and my arch is 24" wide that would mean I need 5.5 under my rear pan. That doesn't make sense to me could you please explain. I don't think I would want that much space under my pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyacres View Post
    I'm confused my base stack is 6x22 and my arch is 24" wide that would mean I need 5.5 under my rear pan. That doesn't make sense to me could you please explain. I don't think I would want that much space under my pan.
    The area of your 6" stack is pi x (radius squared).
    R = 3"
    R squared = 9"
    9 x pi = 28"

So if your arch is 24" wide and you want to calculate how many inches you want between brick an pan to equal 28 inches, you divide 28 by 24, to get about 1.2"

That make sense to you?

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets