+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Evaporator pan cover

Default Evaporator pan cover

We have a small home built 2x4 evaporator and would like to have a cover to set over the pan when not boiling. Would it be ok to fabricate up a cover out of aluminum soffit material?

We used to cover our evaporator for the summer with just a frame made of strapping and some heavy duty vapour barrier stapled across,then you could see if any leaves or " visitors" got into the pan. Now we have a hood/ steam away on,so there is just a cover like this on the syrup pan.
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

I have made a cover out of foil faced insulation board.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

I had SS covers made for all open pans and tanks. I even made small ones for all float boxes, most are SS 2 on the finisher are aluminum and one on my mix tank (for mixing the filter aid) is also aluminum. The big covers were made by my local tin shop, the small ones I made on my little 2' sheet metal brake.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread