+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Squirrel Chews

Default Squirrel Chews

I have always envisioned squirrel chews as a wider knawwing type damage to lines, but while doing some work in the woods the past few weeks I have noticed a lot of single "cuts" in the surface of the lines. This damage looks like what a knife would do if run quickly once across the surface of the lines. These damages areas are often no where near the trees and well out in the spans between trees. Most of these are probably not deep enough to cause leaks, but if I bend the tubing I can probably cause it to break open to the inside. I will probably have to wait sap flow to find out which ones are the problems.

Is this squirrel damage??
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

In the past few years we have seen vandalisum. We have found spots as you describe to shot guns used on ladders and shot found in the lines.

Squirrel daage in our bushes is most usually at trees or where a branch has pulled the line to the ground between trees.

A roll of electrical or duct tape makes a temporary fix.

Deer will rub on the saddles on the mains.

Deer and the wood rats can be deterred by using hot pepper's on the main. I made a mixture of ground up hot peppers and added soy oil to make a liquid I could bottle and use as needed. Use a jersey or ropers glove over a latex glove to apply to the line. Where I used it there was no damage for two seasons.

Two sons are in the main bush as I type checking the population and reducing by way of high speed lead poisoning.

We have had a bad tick year and having had Lyme twice in one year the vermin count must be kept in check.

We have a great tick product that has work awesome for many customers to our feed store.

Zero Bite is a natural mixture and has clove and peppermint oils and an alcohol to kill and repel. There is a small 40z bottle that can go in your atv or pack.

Usually fly spray season is done after a good killing frost but this season we are sold out of three products and have limited supply of two others that are good.

Good Luck and check for ticks!

I was thinking some type of vandalism, or damage from birdshot or something, but it just doesn't look like it. Nearly 100% of these cuts/nicks are on the top half of the tubing, I have not noticed any on the underside.
    Noel Good
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Its chipmunks and flying squirrels. The woods I have down the road from you is always full of this damage and also the coyote's show up and chop clean a few dozen of the steepest most inaccessible lines every year just for fun.

I was thinking maybe chipmunks, but never thought of flying squirrels. I know we have those up here too because the cats have brought home a couple over the years. So I have coyote damage to look forward to then. lol The most damage this year was caused by either the pipeline guys, or the power line tree trimming guys throwing large branches on the lines closest to the road and pulling some fittings apart. That was nice of them.
    Noel Good
    www.wnybass.com

Your question brought up a topic discussed around our store & sugar House many times. Wish I was willing to spend the time to try to get pictures of what causes my damage. I have come to believe the puncture type of bites without any material actually removed, is either Chipmunks or the night flying squirrels as stated. Just my thoughts.
    35 years making syrup.
    President of Ohio maple producers
    4000 taps today...hopefully 5000 soon with some high yields tapped in 10 years?
    Leader Dealer
    Mountain cur for a woods partner

If it resembles knife marks, it's some type of carnivore (raccoon, coyote, or Fisher ). Chances are, if it's between trees more than two feet off the ground, it's coyotes. Coon will also leave puncture marks in the tubing. This damage is mostly around trees. I have more trouble with semi rigid tubing (which I use for dropline material). I believe this is because the tubing is softer and it feels good to their teeth.

Neil
    Last edited by Walling's Maple Syrup; 11-23-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wnybassman View Post
    The most damage this year was caused by either the pipeline guys, or the power line tree trimming guys throwing large branches on the lines closest to the road and pulling some fittings apart. That was nice of them.
    Is that damage on or off their R.O.W.? If off it, I'd take pictures and lodge a complaint, if on it I guess you can just complain to us but while we can feel your pain we have no remedy.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread