+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: who's ready? could you go out and tap tomorrow?

Mike,
    This is an amusing question...since mid october, i have *made all shack modifications, and cleaned it up, *ordered RO parts and assembled, *ordered all sap bags and cut all the new PVC pipe I will use for this year, *decided to give tubing a try (which arrived this evening, and i am making my 3' drop lines as I answer your post), *all bottles have been received (25 cases), and lastly < * i have modified my filtering method for 2018! So yea, I am beyond ready! I ope to connect with you this year in Kent at some point during a boil...remind me what your typical boil schedules are. Im hoping with the use of the RO system this year, i will have a day here and there to visit folks in CT sugaring.

Scott - with the number of taps you are putting out and changing to 3/16" tubing you will be lucky to sleep a few hours a night once things start rolling. I am ready to go as well but hoping for a normal season starting in February.
    2' x 3' backyard evaporator with homemade steam hood
    38.5 gallons produced in 2022
    120 taps all on 3/16" tubing
    4" x 40" homemade RO built for 2023
    https://sites.google.com/view/mattat...aplesyrup/home

2000 feet of 2" vacuum line unrolled, stretched and wire tied: Check
    1000 feet of 1" mainline up on new wire, tensioned and wire tied: Check
    600(ish) taps of new 5/16" laterals stretched, droplines cut in and manifolds installed: Check

Still lots of odds and ends, including installing our new electric releaser and re-installing the high pressure pump for the RO, but otherwise not in too bad shape.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Right now I guess we don't have to worry about tapping tomorrow, as winter is here, through the end of the month it looks. I lease some taps on state property right across the road from me, and the paperwork will get mailed tomorrow, still don't have that 20v drill, but Santa might -

he he he he that's what the RO is for...remember? YOLO baby

Quote Originally Posted by scottdevine View Post
    Mike,
    This is an amusing question...since mid october, i have *made all shack modifications, and cleaned it up, *ordered RO parts and assembled, *ordered all sap bags and cut all the new PVC pipe I will use for this year, *decided to give tubing a try (which arrived this evening, and i am making my 3' drop lines as I answer your post), *all bottles have been received (25 cases), and lastly < * i have modified my filtering method for 2018! So yea, I am beyond ready! I ope to connect with you this year in Kent at some point during a boil...remind me what your typical boil schedules are. Im hoping with the use of the RO system this year, i will have a day here and there to visit folks in CT sugaring.
    Scott, you are making me feel lazy and like a slacker, I need to down shift and get going here. Hopefully that RO can keep up with all those taps. Thanks for the buckets and apple pie buddy!!!!

Making another pass around the woods this week in hopes of getting all trees off lines. Every time i turn around another tree lands on a mainline. I removed a few more taps just to please the Organic inspector. In all I still have around 8000-8500 taps but I will know for sure when the tapping is done.I plan to start tapping on January 8th with the help of my son who is home from college. If the snow is not too deep we should get 1000 tapped per day. Good luck everyone.

Spud

Ready, heck yeah....I've boiled the last three days I put my fall taps in last Saturday and started boiling Sunday.

Scott, I'd sure like to get over there this season to see your setup if we can get together around work schedules. I can remember giving you my phone number, it seems like yesterday and keep reading about improvements since. Sometimes I think I get my exercise reading your posts

Not this guy! I'll be installing drops right up until we start tapping. My 1st 40 is nearly done just 500-600 more drops to go bringing the total on that parcel to 2,400ish taps. I've got a logging crew in my other 40 starting next week and I told them if the equipment sits too long I might mistake it for a maple.

YTD 2017... Built new 30x45 sugarhouse, built 3 pump houses, refurbished two SS tanks, Moved and set up 4x16 evaporator, trenched 7,000 feet of line, installed 12,000 feet of 1", 75 800 foot rolls of 3/16, 1,750 drops in, 40 bags of wood cut, mastered cream, butter, candy and sucker production, USDA and FDA certifications complete and built customer base to support our expected volume... I haven't slept in months...
    Maple Man 85
    Anthony & Rebecca Renken
    2017=200 taps
    2018=4000 taps (goal) 3000 taps (actual)
    2019=7000 taps (goal)
    30x45 Sugar House
    4x16 Leader Vortex
    www.northwoodsmaplefarm.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast