+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dewalt 20v drills for tapping

Default Dewalt 20v drills for tapping

I️ recently bought two of these because they seemed like a good deal, the batteries are the smallest ones they make. Has anyone used these batteries for tapping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

We used DeWalt 20V lithium battery drills for the 2017 season. Switched from 18V NiCad DeWalt drills used for many seasons before that. Considerably lighter. Batteries lasted well with 5/16" tapping bits. 2 Amp batteries good for 1/2 day +. 4 Amp batteries good for a whole day.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I also use them, my only complaint is that they seem to die without notice. On NiCad batteries, they slow down, the lithium go a logs time, then just quit. You want to have a spare with you, not back at the ATV or snowmobile. Somehow the batteries know when you are the farthest from your equipment.
    That being said, they are far lighter and thus you can keep drilling longer without being as tired.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

That's what I use... the drills come with two batteries and are considerably lighter than the alternative.
    Maple Man 85
    Anthony & Rebecca Renken
    2017=200 taps
    2018=4000 taps (goal) 3000 taps (actual)
    2019=7000 taps (goal)
    30x45 Sugar House
    4x16 Leader Vortex
    www.northwoodsmaplefarm.com

We use these as well, the brushless motor drills with 5 amp hour batteries, and one battery is good for an entire day. My dad has one with the small batteries and they don't last worth a darn, I wouldn't bother bringing those to the woods. Just my opinion, get the big high amp hour batteries.

Here too, 20V max. I really like them. I did learn not to charge them out in the cold though. It’s important to keep the charger where it’s warm.
    12X16 Sugarhouse and 16x24 attached woodshed
    1000 taps
    120 3/16 tubing
    And still some buckets
    Becker U5.70 Rotary vane
    Leader 2X8 Reverse oil fired, Revolution Pans & Steam a way
    Lapierre Turbo 2000 600 GPH RO
    Leader Clear frame filter press
    John Deere Gator 6X4
    Indy 500 and a very large sled.
    Kubota M8200

We've always used Milwaukee's but got a deal on a 20v Dewalt last year. My partner used it more than I did but he liked it. Much better than the 18v Nicd Dewalts I have for my personal use. Always carry spare batteries and at least one high amp battery goes a long way.

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We also use Dewalt 20volt drills, we have had good luck with the DCD996 and DCD980 models, we really like the 3-speed drill options. I would stay away from the Home Depot & Lowes Black Friday Specials, as these drills as they are usually the base model DCD777, these only have a max RPM of 1600, the higher the RPM the better. We also started using the flex volt 60/20volt batteries, when used in 20volt config its the equivalent of a 9amp hour battery. We like the extra weight of the battery for balance and helps to counter act the drill bit from catching and twisting the drill.

I have used the DeWalt 18 volt small hammer drill for tapping for several years. These smaller hammer type units greatly reduce arm strain and do a real nice job. Keep batteries on charge in the truck. I use a holster to carry it, hammer is in a tool loop too.
    regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast