+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Firebricking finally. Give me your technique.

Default Firebricking finally. Give me your technique.

Finally got my pans off and hood suspended. Now I am ready to brick it. I am going to order ceramic blanket for it but want to know how you would go about to brick. Mortar or not? How far from flue? It is a 3x8 drop flue. Read you should caulk all sheet metal seems. Did you?
    Slightly clueless here and also have already stretched the budget beyond wifes limit. Give your thoughts. All appreciated.

When I did mine under the flues I put 1 inch ceramic board throughout entire fire box. Full brick Monterey and cut to fit tight upto rails. That left 1 inch under the flues so I then ran ceramic blanket on top. 2 inches on the ramp. Have to replace every couple of years. Arch 8s 15 years old and still looks brand new.
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

We bricked our fire box using high temp mortar. The person we bought the arch from had just set in the fire bricks with no motar. The mortar really helps set in everything into a combustion chamber. You should only have to brick the firebox. On the the flue pan we set bricks on the sides and filled with sand. I personally wouldn't worry about chalking metal seams but it's up to you.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

Set bricks on side with sand? Bricks tight with sand to fill cracks with no mortar or with big gaps to use less bricks?

Sorry. Just reread without being rushed. Bricks on sides with sand on bottom. Got it. What are the benefits to that? Save some brick. What else?

Quote Originally Posted by cjf12 View Post
    Sorry. Just reread without being rushed. Bricks on sides with sand on bottom. Got it. What are the benefits to that? Save some brick. What else?
    I think the biggest benefit would be the cost. The firebox definitely use the fire brick and hi temp mortar. Farther back underneath the pans the sand is cheaper. CDL has a YouTube video on how to set it up.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

+ Reply to Thread