+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Granulated Sugar Equipment

Default Granulated Sugar Equipment

Ok got a question for you all who makes granulated maple sugar.

What do you use to "grind/sift" The sugar?

Here is what I use, one of those manual food mills. I usually make sugar in batches of 1 gal of syrup, so about 7 1/2 lbs.
    I stir the syrup after boiling and once it goes to crumb I let sit in oven to dry and then later will "work" it thru the food mill.

I am starting to get a good customer base who are asking for maple sugar and would like to be able to make more sugar quicker and less effort.

I was looking at trying to use a Squeezo type food mill. My thinking is that it is just like what I am using now but a little larger and being clamped to the counter top edge I woul dnot be chasing the large bowl and food mill around the counter top.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

I make a decent amount of sugar and here's what I do. I heat my syrup low and slow to 260 degree(butter around the top edge of the pan to keep the foam down) I use a digital thermometer. (I believe an a good thermometer is key) I heat about a gallon of syrup a time. Often I do three batches in 3 different pans at a time. Here's where I have a cheap yet quick way of mixing, as soon as it hits 260 degrees I pour into a large stainless old kettle and I have 2 foot long stainless mixing wand (looks like a paint mixer) into my cordless drill and mix away. It will scratch the bottom of the pan. I then sift into large bowl using a mesh style strainer and throw any chunks back into the next batch. I let the sugar cool over night then package next day. I can complete this process in about 1.5 hrs. give or take. Hope this helps. (no need to put in oven)

I am amazed that I only got your reply maplenutter butter.
    I have seen those flat screen seizes at a few of the maple shows. I did not feel that they would give me a consistent enough sugar without a few larger crumbs so that is why I used the food mill.

I guess I may just have to give it a try with the squeezo food mill to see how it will work, worst case that I can see is that it just packs solid in the auger/screen.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Some where I read that someone sold the crumbs for coffee sugar and was loved by those that tried maple sugar in coffee
    2012 200 taps on buckets,,, Built me a 2' X 11' arch,,, hope to put most on tubing next year.

2011 100 taps on buckets, 30x 60 flat pan

2009 63 taps on buckets,,,, 30x60 flat pan

+ Reply to Thread