+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready

Trees stopped running when it hit the freezing point(almost exactly the same time) last evening about 5:30.

At the same time, it started to snow and the humidity went up. The steam really came of the evaporator to the point that I couldn’t see the other side of it standing right beside it. Within half an hour I had my first draw off. A little over a gallon of amber. Considering everything that’s happened in the last year, that’s the hardest that I have ever worked for a gallon of anything ever!!! Pans are now sweetened and were expecting the weather for another run tomorrow.

This went from fun to extraordinary last evening.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

I need to get a sap hydrometer. When I left the sugar shack Saturday evening around 5 my tank was empty. When I got there this morning at 9, I had 283 gallon from 163 taps but I am afraid that it is of the 1% verity. Boiled from 10 am until 9 pm and only drew 3 gallon of syrup. Oh, and when I left this evening, there was 283 gallon of sap in my tank.

Having fun but this is exhausting. Until I get a sap hydrometer is there any way to determine sugar content?
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

amaranth farm Guest

Radio Silence.
    Last edited by amaranth farm; 04-06-2018 at 01:57 PM.

minehart gap....I'm gonna take a wild arse guess and say considering what sweet you have in the pan your probably at 1.3 to 1.4%

Most of my sap so far has been 1.3 -1.4

Looks like you need a bigger woodpile, not a sap hydrometer!
    Have fun, season is just starting!
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on shurflo vacuum
    about 60 buckets on giant roadside sugars
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps
    30'x 8' Aof/Auf Evaporator
    Homemade 125gph Ro
    Lots of Homemade Equipment!

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

Another gallon per tap yesterday. But I’m catching up. I changed the back end of the arch and picked up another 4 gallon per hour evaporation. Getting there. Now I need to find time to filter and bottle.

Snook, there is no doubt that the wood pile needs to be bigger.
    Buckeye, I have no way to know until my sap hydrometer gets here but I am noticing that it is starting to get higher just by volume of syrup increasing.
    Amaranth Farms, how many people looked sideways at you when you started snorting sap? It may be another way to enjoy maple!
    Last edited by minehart gap; 01-30-2018 at 04:25 AM.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

I’m not sure why but anytime that I run my evaporator for more than 5 hours I greatly loose efficiency. For the first 4 - 5 hours, it is evaporating about 32 to 34 gal per hour then over the next 2 hours it goes down to Around 22 gallon per hour then if I go longer it drops to handy 16 gallon per hour. This is usually happening as the temperature outside drops so the sap gets colder and I don’t have a pre-heater and I noticed that after around 5 hours my door frame is starting to turn red from heat and it doesn’t close as tight. Anyone have any suggestions
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Quote Originally Posted by minehart gap View Post
    I need to get a sap hydrometer. When I left the sugar shack Saturday evening around 5 my tank was empty. When I got there this morning at 9, I had 283 gallon from 163 taps but I am afraid that it is of the 1% verity. Boiled from 10 am until 9 pm and only drew 3 gallon of syrup. Oh, and when I left this evening, there was 283 gallon of sap in my tank.

Having fun but this is exhausting. Until I get a sap hydrometer is there any way to determine sugar content?
    Taste it, if it's noticeably sweet likely near 2percent. I noticed end of season sap that's 2percent you can't really taste the sweetness much if at all
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Does your firewood usage drop along with your decrease in evaporation rate?

I know I'm not an arch expert but, if your door fame is getting that hot and your evap rate is dropping that drastically my best guess is you are loosing draft out your stack. You may need to increase the gap between the insulation and the bottom of the pan on the back end towards the stack to allow for thermal expansion of all the steel. It probably takes 4-5 hours for the heat to soak through the insulation and then cause things to swell up.

Also is your fire burning clean? If you are generating creosote from a dirty fire it can build up quickly and choke off the draft. It doesn't take much to start blocking draft with how tight a space there is between the back of the arch and the pan.
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

Quote Originally Posted by Cjadamec View Post
    Does your firewood usage drop along with your decrease in evaporation rate?

I know I'm not an arch expert but, if your door fame is getting that hot and your evap rate is dropping that drastically my best guess is you are loosing draft out your stack. You may need to increase the gap between the insulation and the bottom of the pan on the back end towards the stack to allow for thermal expansion of all the steel. It probably takes 4-5 hours for the heat to soak through the insulation and then cause things to swell up.

Also is your fire burning clean? If you are generating creosote from a dirty fire it can build up quickly and choke off the draft. It doesn't take much to start blocking draft with how tight a space there is between the back of the arch and the pan.
    Fire wood is burning clean, primarily locust and red oak. But usage does drop off about 5 hours in. I let some coals burn down and it helps with burning but the evaporation rate doesn’t pick up. And I just changed the back end to push the heat up into the pan. That is probably it. Thanks
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast