+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting ready

DFDF8DB2-6A14-4F04-BBF6-6A2E65495FED.jpg
    Took a couple days vacation time to get back on track. Started to set the post and beams. What I got done today, I had planned to take 2 days.

Friday I plan to head to Tioga County to pick up main line, more spiles, arch board and a filter press. Just might turn out to be a great weekend
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Our previous sugarhouse floor was smooth. Was a bit slippery when wet, but the real problem was when you had snow build-up in the treads of your boots. At that point the floor was worse than a skating rink. Going in and out meant stopping to kick snow off your boots and then walking gingerly until you were sure there was no snow underfoot.

That floor also didn't have enough steel in the cement, or decent drains, so it was cracking up into chunks and heaving around. We dug the whole thing out 4-5 years ago and put in good drainage, lots of steel, and a brushed surface. It is very easy to keep clean with a hose, drains great, and is not at all slippery.
    We had discussed the same predicament.... Sure enough our smooth finish result in my opinion became more dangerous than any cleaning advantage gained by being glassy smooth. Broom finish is easily cleanable and also smooths out over time with ongoing traffic.
    2x6 Smokey Lake raised flue w/AUF
    16x30 Sugar Shack
    7" SL SS filter press
    Smokey Lake water jacketed finish pan & bottler
    350 RO
    517 taps and I seem to keep finding more!

1arch, love your profile picture. I drive a team of Haflingers.

My concrete didn’t exactly turn out as I had expected. When I left the night of pouring, it had a steel smooth finish then a light broom rubbed across it then covered with blanket. Apparently, it wasn’t as set as I thought that it was because when I looked at it a week later (after talking the blankets off) some of the aggregate had surfaced and my finish is rougher than I had hoped. It will smooth out over time but there shouldn’t be a too much of a slipping hazard.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Rent a power trowel, it will work wonders. Start with steel pads and when that is done, put wooden pads on, that will work up fine. It's too late to do it any other way.
    Dave Klish about 1320 taps in '15, doing fewer each year, about 450 planned for 2020 (and after?)
    2012 Mahindra 36 HP 4x4/ loader/cab/heat/AC:-)
    3x8 raised flue evaporator
    250 GPH converted to electric, RO by Ray Gingerich
    6.32 KW solar system, 1.48KW is battery backed up, all net metered
    http://s1041.photobucket.com/albums/...anssugarhouse/

Having a very productive weekend. Wednesday and Thursday, got some help and set the posts and beams. Friday, took a tour of Tioga County and picked up the rest of my tee’s, taps and main line, arch board, filter press, arch gasket and a boat load of other stuff. Meet a lot of great people.

I have decided to try tee’s and taps from three different manufacturers. Leaders check valve adapters, CDL taps that have rubber, and Lapierre seasonal spouts in order to see what I like the best. I did go with all leader 3/16” tubing because I got a good deal and Lapierre main line because it is virgin plastic.

Thanks to CDL Pa, Bud Bowers, Jim Tice and CCDL for all of the advice and showing me there set ups.

Saturday, my brother in law helped me set most of the rafters. Today I plan to finish them then start on the cupola.
    Last edited by minehart gap; 12-27-2017 at 08:48 PM.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Another weekend closer to being ready. Hope to finish up the siding today.1A88B52F-2AAF-432A-BF89-D543F001C046.jpg
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Is there any reason that cupola doors couldn’t open from the top and open inward with screen outside?

To be honest, given the time of year and temperatures when we boil, im not sure why screens are necessary. Birds maybe
    Last edited by minehart gap; 12-17-2017 at 10:41 AM.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Pretty sure in PA if you have a cupola you have to have screens for inspection. How it opens or closes is up to you.
    Jared

Thanks Jared. Nice Sugar shack BTW. And best of luck this season.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Another day closer to ready. But still nowhere near. Finally got the ridge cap on and another side of the shack has baton strips before I ran the air compressor out of fuel(that I forgot to bring along today). Also framed and installed a 4’ wide door.

I go tomorrow evening to pick up a 3 bowl sink. Hopefully it, my evaporator and bulk tanks will get up the mountain next week. And the outside at least of the sugar shack will get finished.3EB9560F-10BF-416D-898B-567B35BD30C0.jpg
    Oh yea, and the front door needs finished and hung.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast