+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Getting ready

Minehart,

Tap all 300, on slow days you will be happy you have them on big days it will be really exciting.

We had 99 taps last year with 70 on 3/16 gravity. Our biggest day was 160, we had 9 days over 100 gallons and 8 days under
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lano75; 11-15-2017 at 06:30 PM.

Default Concrete

I agree with Dr. Tim. Just a light steel trowel finish to close up any holes washes down nicely. The glass finishes look nice but are almost dangerous with the conditions that you will have.
    Jim

Floor, check. I’m putting a steel finish then a light broom. Should give some traction but be easy to clean.
    2B375CC2-99C7-4348-A1B9-AAF5909617C3.jpg
    Last edited by minehart gap; 11-18-2017 at 06:33 PM.
    Minehart Gap Maple
    2018:finally (after 27 years) got access to my sugar bush, planning 300 taps on 3/16 gravity to test the waters, Used 2x6 raised flue sap pan & 2x2 syrup pan, 600 & 250 gal ss bulk tank, Homemade arch, and lots of homemade gadgets, 14x18 timber frame sugar shack from the 1800’s
    Before 2018: played around at home with 10 to 15 taps and 5 gal. pots

Default spreadsheet

Raining today, and I'm kind of tired after mixing and finishing concrete yesterday (I must be getting soft). Anyway, I worked on creating my spreadsheet for tracking basically everything. I was surprised to see that the greatest profit percentage based on the North American Maple Producers Manual formula for pricing the syrup and entering the current cost for bottles is in pints. Granted, you bring in more money the smaller the quantity but pints give the best profit potential. Of coarse, that all depends of the expenses too.

Where does everyone get there containers? I prefer glass and have pretty much determined that I will be bottling 8 oz., 12 oz., and pints primarily with some quarts and half gallons as well.
    Minehart Gap Maple
    2018:finally (after 27 years) got access to my sugar bush, planning 300 taps on 3/16 gravity to test the waters, Used 2x6 raised flue sap pan & 2x2 syrup pan, 600 & 250 gal ss bulk tank, Homemade arch, and lots of homemade gadgets, 14x18 timber frame sugar shack from the 1800’s

We buy our 8oz glass by the pallet load from SKS. We prefer the nice metal caps with maple leaf on top and SKS doesn't carry them so we get them from Sugarbush Supplies in Mason Michigan.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    170 taps on sacks
    50 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Glass for sure showcases the product best, but while I pack in both, the sales call for plastic. I sell about 98% in plastic except for gift giving and special occasions. MY bourbon barrel aged syrup is the only one I only pack in glass.
    Dave Klish about 1320 taps in '15, down to about 700 in '16, up to 850 for 2018?
    2012 Mahindra 36 HP 4x4/ loader/cab/heat/AC:-)
    added a gooseneck equipment trailer and F350 to tow it to haul more sap
    3x8 raised flue evaporator
    250 GPH converted to electric, RO by Ray Gingerich
    6.32 KW solar system, 1.48KW is battery backed up, all net metered
    http://s1041.photobucket.com/albums/...anssugarhouse/

To be clear, (pun alert) we are decidedly non commercial and give away all the syrup we make. We like the look in glass, and try to get it as cheap as we can, but it is not really cheap!

Look to others here for advise on making money. We just seem to spend it!
    John
    170 taps on sacks
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by RileySugarbush View Post
    To be clear, (pun alert) we are decidedly non commercial and give away all the syrup we make. We like the look in glass, and try to get it as cheap as we can, but it is not really cheap!

Look to others here for advise on making money. We just seem to spend it!
    John, if you have 220 taps and give it all away. you must have a long line of "friends and relatives" in line for syrup.
    Dave Klish about 1320 taps in '15, down to about 700 in '16, up to 850 for 2018?
    2012 Mahindra 36 HP 4x4/ loader/cab/heat/AC:-)
    added a gooseneck equipment trailer and F350 to tow it to haul more sap
    3x8 raised flue evaporator
    250 GPH converted to electric, RO by Ray Gingerich
    6.32 KW solar system, 1.48KW is battery backed up, all net metered
    http://s1041.photobucket.com/albums/...anssugarhouse/

Very true!

There are two other families that boil together with us at our bush. Used to be four, but one moved to Montana.We have had some success!

We decided not to complicate things with trying to make any money and just keep it fun, so we all agreed never to sell any syrup. Every visiting family during the sugaring season goes home with an 8 oz bottle. Guerrilla marketing for all you guys.... we have introduced many to the joys of real maple! We split the remainder between ourselves after giving generous amounts to all of our dedicated help. It is often then donated to fundraising auctions and the like. Still plenty to keep for family and "friends"!
    John
    170 taps on sacks
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Does anyone have a manual for a Wes Fab 5” filter press? I was given a lead and arranged to purchase a 5” Wes Fab filter press. The gentleman that I am buying it from does not know if he has the instructions and manual for it but will look, I figured that I would try to save him the time of looking for it.

John, I think that it’s really cool that you are sugaring that way.
    Last edited by minehart gap; 11-20-2017 at 06:23 PM.
    Minehart Gap Maple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345