+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drawing/filtering process

Default Drawing/filtering process

This year we are ramping up our production a little, we purchased a new RO and a 10" half bank filter press. We previously drew off into a stainless pail, and filtered into a large canner, then once we had enough, I would correct the density, and hot pack into a keg, this year I know I don't want to be doing it that way , so I'm looking for some input on what other producers our size are doing.( draw tank hooked to filter press, or draw into finish pan, etc.) We run a 2x8 with preheated and hoods, with auf and aof that averages around 75-80 gph, I am planning on running 8-10% and will have somewhere around 1500 3/16 taps of our own, and may take in sap from a neighbor also
    A&A 2x8 raised flue with hoods and preheater, converted to oil with carlin 201 for 2021
    8x12 kitchen
    8x12 canning room
    H20 7.5 1200 Econox for 2018 added 2nd membrane for 2020
    H2O 10" filter press half bank
    H2O 2430 gallon storage tank
    700+ 5/16 on vacuum, 1000+ on 3/16

Im quite a bit smaller than you but is sounds like a similar operation. I draw off through flat filters over a 10 gallon ss pot. The pot sits on a propane burner. When i get 5 gallons I fire up the burner and correct if needed. After up to temp i run through the press and send it to a five gallon jug or to the steam canner to bottle up. I found it takes way too long to heat 5 gallons of cold syrup in the bottler. When im done for the day I fill the draw off tank with 5 gallons of hot water and clean the tank then send it though the pump bypass to the bottler. This cleans eveything but the press and is ready for the next boil.
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Smokylake 2X6 pan set with auto drawoff
    Homebuilt 2 4x40 membrane RO
    Homebuilt filter press
    Rebuilt arch with under and over the fire air we have named V 2.0
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater
    500 gallon vertical polytank to store sap for RO
    Adding a laser eye to my bottler for autofill/stop

Another question, I'm assuming you turn off your press between batches,do you ever get any sediment in your syrup from turning off your press, or am I over thinking tjings
    A&A 2x8 raised flue with hoods and preheater, converted to oil with carlin 201 for 2021
    8x12 kitchen
    8x12 canning room

Start each batch with a fresh set of papers. Just let the waste from the paper change sit in the tank and pump it through next batch with the hot syrup. Don't let syrup sit in your press for long periods of time, more than 2-3 hours. That's what we do it anyway.

As long as the filter press has not set idle more than 3 hrs, there is no issue. If it has set longer, but never over 6 hrs, just put the discharge hose in the mix tank, add a little more DE and let it run until it looks crystal clear, then shut the pump off, move the discharge hose to the canner or a barrel and pump. Before leaving for the night, open the press, clean the plates and install new papers.
    Did you read the Filter Press info at Proctor UVM? they have a good paper on there, print it out and save in the sugarhouse as a guide. You will only need it the first few uses and after that it will all be second nature.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I usually go 2 days on a set of papers in my 10” full bank. I let hot water off the preheater run on the plates until I’m ready to filter. Then recirculate till syrup comes out clear. I just run my air pump very slow at first.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Thanks for all the info guys!
    8x12 kitchen
    8x12 canning room

+ Reply to Thread