Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
For those interested...I contacted the DOT in Madison and the response that I received was quite concerning to say the least. It came as no surprise to me based on what has been mentioned in this thread. The answer to the tank trunk being being classified as an AG Commercial Motor Vehicle was a "NO".

The gentleman went on to say in the e-mail that "Additionally, raw maple sap and maple syrup are commodities that do not fall within the scope of agriculture, horticulture, or arboriculture. Consequently, maple sap and syrup are not IoH commodities." Internal Revenue Code - Title 26 Section 464 (e). The preceding was given as the cited reference

Yet when you go here:

https://www.revenue.wi.gov/Pages/FAQ...smt.aspx#asmt7

See question #18, The Dept. of Revenue clearly states that maple sap gathering IS an agricultural activity. In addition, the NASS collects data yearly with maple being one of them. Since the DOT does not consider this an agricultural activity, are we therefore not allowed to pull a tank with a tractor either? Will they require licenses/permits on ANY sap collecting apparatus?
Will going to the sugarbush with the 4 wheeler now be considered an recreational activity, rather than a farm activity? Will the farm exempt status of the 4 wheeler now be punishable due to its use in a non - agricultural endeavor? These are items we all need to be asking, a very slippery slope indeed. There is alot of work that needs to be done with getting these government agencies on the same page.
Sounds like something your state association needs to get addressed.