+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sap Truck Registration

Default Sap Truck Registration

I have a 2500 gallon former milk truck that I'd like to put into use for hauling sap. It has no title. It currently needs a little work to get it running. The question is does this have to be licensed, etc.... with the state. It would be 100% used for hauling sap and not more than a couple miles away.

Currently in Wisconsin, truck mounted manure spreaders, exclusive potatoe trucks, truck mounted feed mixers, etc.. require no license/registration as they are considered an "implement of husbandry". Why could the same not apply here?? Maple sap is defined as "farm", "raw commodities", as it is not recognized when the state does the food safety inspection.

The other option is removing the tank and mounting it on a running gear of some sort and pull it with the tractor. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

We had to licenses ours, I tried the angle of the potato trucks and was shot down by the DMV. Obviously in the spring of the year you've got road weight restrictions as well.
    Maple Man 85
    Anthony & Rebecca Renken
    2017=200 taps
    2018=4000 taps (goal) 3000 taps (actual)
    2019=7000 taps (goal)
    30x45 Sugar House
    4x16 Leader Vortex
    www.northwoodsmaplefarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Man 85 View Post
    We had to licenses ours, I tried the angle of the potato trucks and was shot down by the DMV. Obviously in the spring of the year you've got road weight restrictions as well.
    I am not sure your dmv agent was correct? From my understanding the road weight restrictions are going to be relaxed for sap tanks, the same as milk trucks. Guess I'll be mounting it on a gear if I have to license it, therefore the dmv can then go bother other people.

I know of a guy locally that has a truck with a TMR mixer and hauls 40 miles one way daily.....no license or registration.
    Last edited by markcasper; 11-01-2017 at 06:31 PM.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.

Maybe check with state patrol. We have a tri-axle grain truck that we haul grain from field to our bins that is not licensed, there is just a slow moving vehicle sign on back.

lots of answers here but you know where to get the right answer dont you. your sec. of state
    2x6 RAISED FLUE PANS
    by WF MASON
    650 taps on vac.
    100 on bags

Quote Originally Posted by OGDENS SUGAR BUSH View Post
    lots of answers here but you know where to get the right answer dont you. your sec. of state
    please explain....no, don't know b/c it seems everyone is different who you talk to.

I know a guy that has a gravity box mounted on a 2 ton truck, no license there either.

Its pretty cut and dried in my opinion.....if it COULD be used for hire then the answer would be pretty obvious.
    Mark

In New Hampshire, you would throw a $20 Agriculture Plate on it and a $30 inspection sticker and be good to go. No insurance required unless you have lost your license due to drunk driving. No CDL required on AG or Farm plates no matter the truck size.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I would suggest talking to motor vehical dept in your state and have them highlite in the book the answer they give you.

This way when you get stopped you have the book to show the rookie cop what you were told.

In NY you need plates, ins and inspection if it is on the road and not a tractor. If they want to push it you need a tank endorsement. Feed in a tank truck or trailer is the only current exclusion.

Exced your reg weight and you are screwed.

There are so many that get away for a while but when they get caught or have an accident it gets costly when it would have only been a few bucks to do it right.

Sloshing half full tanks are not something to have on a farm wagon. The tongue is not designed for that stress. Use the truck if at all possible. I have a IH with 1900 gallon capacity. Great liquid hauler.

Quote Originally Posted by BreezyHill View Post

Sloshing half full tanks are not something to have on a farm wagon. The tongue is not designed for that stress. Use the truck if at all possible. I have a IH with 1900 gallon capacity. Great liquid hauler.
    Thanks for the information. I agree and disagree with some of what you are saying. You are right, the first place to check would be the DMV.
    In regards to 1/2 full tanks, there are numerous liquid manure tankers much bigger than this and I have never heard of it being a problem. I am eyeballing putting this tank on a former tandem axle liquid manure tanker frame, so its not a hobby 100 bale hay rack gear.

One plus too not having the truck chasis is not having to deal with keeping that thing running, the thing is like 1970 as it is, so probably going to be just a pile of headaches every year.
    Mark

In PA. they view sap as a forestry product and it carries the same restrictions as log trucks. I know the state association is working to get it changed but so far no luck.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast