+ Reply to Thread

Thread: on demand hot water heater

Default on demand hot water heater

Anyone got a good on demand propane hot water heater they can recommend?
    I have limited electric service but really want hot water for cleanups. Is 3-4 gal per min. enough? Hardly gonna get much pressure out a garden hose at that. Thats what "cottage/cabin" heaters run anyways. Not looking to spend a fortune.

I got mine out of an old camper that was getting scrapped. Mine needs no power to work you just have to be able to pump water through it. I use a shurflow pump from the same camper and drop a line in my permeate tank. great for cleaning up and i mounted it up toward the ceiling. When im done i open a valve and it drains outside because i don t heat the sugar house. I thought about putting it in the RO closet that is heated but probably wont. Ive got 75 bucks in the whole setup.
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Smokylake 2X6 pan set with auto drawoff
    Homebuilt 2 4x40 membrane RO
    Homebuilt filter press
    Rebuilt arch with under and over the fire air we have named V 2.0
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater
    500 gallon vertical polytank to store sap for RO
    Adding a laser eye to my bottler for autofill/stop

I have had 2 over the years, both run off my bulk propane tank. I started with a 1.3 gpm unit, it worked ok but I decided I wanted more flow. I then got a 2.3 gpm one and it is ideal. At 2.3 gpm it heats 35F water up to about 110-115F. I use a 120v Sureflo pump and use a ball valve to regulate the flow. I heat permeate from my permeate tank, after the season, I haul city water and put it in that tank. My Sureflo pumps about 3.3 gpm at full flow, that gives me about 100F. I use that for cleaning up, if more heat is needed I just close the ball valve (it is in the feed line to the HW heater) a little.
    This is the one I have: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...ater?a=1588404
    You just need to remove a drain plug on the bottom to prevent damage from freezing in cold weather. It heats very well. If I ever change it, I'll get the next one up that uses 120V ignition rather than 2 D batteries. The batteries last 8-12 months with the use mine gets if on alk. batteries
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have a Point of Use 8 gallon hot water heater made by Bosch and it really works awesome. It is 110 and supposed to use about 10 cents per day in electricity. It has a temperature control and it is shaped like a box. It was about $ 200 at Lowes and is about 18" x18" x 18". I always have plenty of hot water and keep breaker flipped off except when I'm there working.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

More info needed. Can it be drained at the end of each boiling session? If it's not drainable than a non-heated area is out. And depending on the "limited electric service", that might make it a no-go too.
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Draining is a must. I am not going to heat it. I already designed the water to drain into a frost free box when not being used. As far as electric. I have it but know with everything else like the RO, filter press, blower, lights and other little things it going to be pushing it. I will probably use a buddy heater to keep ro from freezing but will pull it in the house out of season.

If you have not bought one yet I have one for sale. It is a Bosch 125FX - LP. Excellent condition, $100 and it's yours.

+ Reply to Thread