+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sliding adaptors comming loose

Default Sliding adaptors comming loose

Went out today to put all my saddles on my new run of 1" mainline and had some surprises.
    Most of my 5/16 tubing that is attached to mainline with CDL sliding adaptors just slid right out of the fittings.
    All fittings are cinched down as far as they will go.
    I don't have any saddles installed yet so I want to get this problem solved first before I do install them.
    All tubing and fittings are CDL
    Some laterals are the 4seasons tubing and some is the regular more ridged tubing. But both are comming loose
    I figured these fittings would be great to use because they are adjustable. And I haven't heard anything bad about them.
    Anyone else have the same problem
    Should I just use the regular hooks to attach to mainline wire?

IMG_0318.jpg
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Hmmm, I think I have the same sliders on my mainline. I will go out later and look at them to see how they are. The only thing I could think of is if the lines are shrinking from being cold. I know when we put up our mainline last year, evall of these sliders were super tight. To the point of being a real pain to get apart. Good luck.

Jason

They are super hard to get apart once they are fully wedged in. I had to use channel locks to get some of them apart. And the tubing was still sliding right through them. I did notice on the ones that did slide through that there are some pretty deep scars on the tubing from the slider. You can tell where it slid through the fitting. I was thinking maybe I pulled the tubing too tight and it made the outer diameter smaller causing it to slip. But I'm not the only one out there that likes tight laterals. And these fittings were designed to keep tubing tight.
    I'm going to try them again when it's colder out. And see what happens.
    If they still slip I'm going to use regular hook fittings.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

I have used these on my tubing setup. I never had any tubing pull thru but I will not use them again. I used them only at the end tree on each lat though. My biggest complaint with them is that the goofy adaptor that you have to use so that it will hook to 5/16 tubing. If you pulled it real tight the hooked thingy would just stretch out and come undone. I now use wire ties to secure the hook thingy to the 5/16 tubing.

I use hooked connected at the mainline and in the past one of Leaders ring connectors at the end tree. When these 1st came out I thought that it would be nice to have the adjustability and the ability to undo the lat so that I could work in the sugarbush. I diecided that those two things just will not warrant the extra cost in those fittings in the future.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

I have used them before and not a fan either for the same reason. My laterals would pull through from time to time creating sags. I'll take my chances on vacuum leaks with hook connectors. Never had one of those fail
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

I'm going to go with the hook connectors. Cheaper and not going to come loose. And after seeing the scaring and gouging on the tubing from the tubing sliding through the adaptor I can feel safe that if I'm going to have a leak it's going to be visible. Not buried under a 2" long chunk of plastic.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

I use the Lappeirre slide hooks and never had one fail. Not sure if they are any different then the CDL’s. I use them at both the mainline and my last tap. I love them because they make it simple to snug up the laterials.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

https://www.bascommaple.com/item/rope12/

Girth hitch (by running the rope through itself) an 18-20" length of this around the wire and run your tubing through the middle of it. It goes really easily if you thread a screw driver through the rope, stick the tubing over the tip, and pull it back through. Don't use the rope you can buy at a hardware - it needs to be UV stabilized or the sun will rot it out in a couple of months.

No vacuum leaks, exceptional hold, and easy to manipulate the tubing to make your pigtails go right. Once installed you can let tension off the line when you're working on tubing and then re-tension it without cutting the tubing open.

Rope eventually slips also.

+ Reply to Thread