+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Liquid Or Solid Defoamer?

amaranth farm Guest

Radio Silence.
    Last edited by amaranth farm; 04-06-2018 at 01:50 PM.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by amaranth farm View Post
    That number was 0.001491% of the total contents for the spring of 2017.
    The amount is not really terrifically important. Even minuscule amounts can trigger a reaction in sensitive individuals.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

amaranth farm Guest

Radio Silence.
    Last edited by amaranth farm; 04-06-2018 at 01:50 PM. Reason: made an error in converting % to parts per.

Thank you for all the comments. Last season we used unsalted butter. We are just hobby producers selling to friends, family and to individuals on our website etc but after last season I started thinking about those things with the possible dairy alergies etc so now I'm trying to figure out what to use for this season.

Dr Perkins what are you using for a defoamer since you don't think dairy products are a good choice? What do you recommend to use?

We use organic canola oil.....it seems to work better in the liquid form than the spray does. We purchase it from our local natural foods store.
    Neil

By me bringing it up was not meant to slam those that use it (including me. But I approach it and use it as a "necessary evil". I do not buy all of these allergic reactions that people seem to have. There is something else involved causing some of these so called allergic reactions other than what we are told in my opinion. Lawyers are one of them!

Why did we not hear of these mass allergies 30 years ago? Some of it is 80% of the food in a supermarket would not have been on the shelf 80 years ago. I belive all of the processing of food making it junk has alot to do with this matter.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Quote Originally Posted by Walling's Maple Syrup View Post
    We use organic canola oil.....it seems to work better in the liquid form than the spray does. We purchase it from our local natural foods store.
    Neil
    I have always heard and read that canola (rapeseed) is bad, bad, bad for the body. I have read about people using organic sunflower and safflower oil for organic.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Quote Originally Posted by amaranth farm View Post
    Further, the protein only makes up 1.4 % of heavy cream. Therfore, only 1.4% of the 0.001491% is protein.
    Cream does have about half the protein content compared to milk. The milk allergen sensitivity threshold starts at about 600 ppb, so your margin of safety is not all that tremendously huge. Your calculations are for the entire season and are valid for your entire crop.....but what about the end of the season syrup when you're using much more defoamer than at the beginning? Do you use twice the normal amount, 3X, 4X, 5X.....at that point you are creeping into the zone of sensitivity for some people.

Let's say instead that you use cream (or milk, or butter) in making maple cream, or candy. At that point, there is almost no dilution factor and you're going to be well over the threshold of some highly sensitive individuals.

It is safer for most people to simply use approved products. You're fine (apparently) assuming the risks, but it clearly is not the best approach for most producers.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    By me bringing it up was not meant to slam those that use it (including me. But I approach it and use it as a "necessary evil". I do not buy all of these allergic reactions that people seem to have. There is something else involved causing some of these so called allergic reactions other than what we are told in my opinion. Lawyers are one of them!

Why did we not hear of these mass allergies 30 years ago? Some of it is 80% of the food in a supermarket would not have been on the shelf 80 years ago. I belive all of the processing of food making it junk has alot to do with this matter.
    A relatively small percentage of the population have true allergies. A good deal more claim to, or believe they are allergic to certain things. Perhaps they got sick once after eating something, and now think they are allergic. Same goes with people with service dogs, or those who park in handicap spaces because their legs hurt (but probably best not to start that conversation). In any case, TRUE allergies are life-threatening and not something that is merely there to annoy the rest of us. Why are there more reports.....better communication. You hear about stuff that happens on the other side of the world 2 hrs ago these days. Secondarily, medicine manages to keep people with various medical issues alive. Centuries ago if you had diabetes....you died. You had bad eyes, you fell off a cliff (or couldn't hunt effectively). Nowadays, medicine, glasses, less hazardous lives....people live, reproduce, and pass on those genes.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 10-19-2017 at 09:17 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    I have always heard and read that canola (rapeseed) is bad, bad, bad for the body. I have read about people using organic sunflower and safflower oil for organic.
    I am by no means an expert on defoamers. I do know that there are two ways to extract oil from a plant. One is by expeller extraction(squeezing oil out of plant). The other is by chemical extraction which produces hexane. The canola oil we use is expeller extacted, which does not involve use of chemicals. We started using this type of defoamer because it was recommended by organic certifier.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast