+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Making Granulated Maple Sugar

Default Making Granulated Maple Sugar

Hey all,

I made Granulated sugar using a quart of syrup, what is my best storage method? a little video attached
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PvJ0kXr-aw

Let me know how I did

Thanks, Joe
    Last edited by JYb.shopteacher; 10-15-2017 at 08:33 PM.

For personal use any air tight container will work.
    For resale some kind of nice container will do. I use those small deli style tubes with lids. The small ones that are about 1" high will hold 6oz. by weight of sugar. I also use the larger size that will hold 12oz by weight.
    I just tried vacuum packaging for the 1st time and good results, both from how customers liked it and the ease of packaging the sugar up.

I am starting to get a lot of customers who want to use the sugar for baking and the 2 smaller containers were just too small. I had a roll of vac bag material so I figured why not give it a go.
    I cut my bags to 7" and 1lb fit in nice. I used just enough vac to just to compress the sugar then stopped the vac and then heat sealed. There was just enough remaining "air" within the sugar to allow me to flatten it out. SO in the end it was flat and bout the size of a bag of brown sugar.

Just remember maple sugar will suck moisture right of the air so an air tight container is must.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Thank you, this is helpful, we are very much still at the Backyarder stage, with 9 gallons the most I have ever made in a season. Just trying to figure out if I can produce baking sugar in the hopes of "sustainable baking". Really just trying to figure if it is better to do small batches or fewer larger batches and store. Thanks

Mason jars with good lids work real well to keep sugar for a long time.
    Good luck.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

We put ours in mason jars. We heat the jars in the oven for a few minutes to sterilize them. Pint jars hold about 8 oz. of sugar and quart jars about 16 oz. As mentioned, it seems to keep well. Only problem is I don't dare to ship them so we don't do online sales of sugar which I think would sell pretty good. I'd like to find someone to make us some custom packages like what the bagged coffee comes in so we could ship them.

Default Packaging maple sugar for shipping.

You can find coffee style bagsat Nashville Wraps or Uline, I always used a poly bag inside the bag for more protection from moisture. You can have a custom rubber stamp made, print a label on an inkjet printer, or have an address sized label custom printed from 123print or Vistaprint.

+ Reply to Thread