+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maple Syrup order from Japan - Is it a scam?

Default Maple Syrup order from Japan - Is it a scam?

We recently received an email for pricing on 12 to 16 pints of maple syrup to be shipped to Japan and paid by VISA. The email stated that the purchaser had enjoyed our maple syrup over 10 years ago and was looking for more as it was "very delicious". I have no recollection of sending maple syrup to Japan, so I emailed back asking where he had purchased our maple syrup in the past. His response: "Over 10 years ago, I have seen your web and I have paid by credit card Visa
    I have sent you my credit card information probably by Fax or letter. I have bought your maple syrup and maple cream. I want to buy your maple syrup again." Well, that is certainly interesting, but not true! I received a call from two other local maple producers who both received a vary similar email request form the same person. Wondering how many other maple producers have gotten the same email. I'm thinking it is a scam, but I haven't figured out his end game. Any thoughts?

These scams surface from time to time. I haven't had this one, but have had several others over the years. I think maybe you could send a PayPal invoice and only ship after payment has cleared and deposited in your account, but I'd still just forget it.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I would just reply "we don't ship to japan" and tell him to purchase through E-Bay and then delete all communications and move on in life.

Most times they are paying with a stolen credit card You send the product and the card number is bogus.
    Maple consultant for 50 years

We received a similar email this past week asking about sending 12-16 pints of syrup to Japan and asked about accepting credit cards and if not could we direct them to someone that does. We replied that we accept pay pal and haven't heard anything since.
    Two Brothers Maple LLC

www.twobrothersmaple.com

In our manufacturing business, we receive a few of these per week from foreign addresses.
    Most include some form of purchase order or request for an large amount of product.
    Any time the request ends with "and what form of payment do you accept"; it's deleted.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

+ Reply to Thread