+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Making making candy at home

Default Making making candy at home

I’m trying to make maple candy at home in my kitchen aid can someone help me and give me tips or hints on how I can make it I have molds coming in the mail

Thanks Sam

If you just want to make some without a candy machine Don't Use a Kitchen Aid you don't need it. Just boil it in a pot to 245 ish (32'-34' above boiling point) then let it cool to 200' then stir with a spoon it takes less than 5 minutes when it starts to stir like plastic pour it into your molds.
    Jared

The important thing is to stir enough as the transition gets closer, otherwise the near candy will boil over or burn to the bottom of the pan. When you start to pour into molds, if it gets too thick, heat it in the microwave a little, stir and resume pouring.
    Another thing is you need enough invert sugar to get good maple candy. I never test for it, and my syrup works good, but sometimes I've heard that some syrup just will not make candy because the invert sugar is too low.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Bring the temp up to soft ball on a candy thermometer, do not use the kitchen aid to stir. Use plastic or wood spoon to stir it cooled at about 210-215. I like stirring it at a warmer temp to avoid it cooling to much and hardening up in the pan when pouring into molds. There's a small window from the time you stir it to the right consistency to pour into molds. Start with a very small batch the first few times until you're comfortable with the process then do larger batches. You will mess up at least a batch or two trying to figure it out, I have messed up a number of them and still do from time to time and I've been making small batches of candy for the past 3 seasons.
    2018 - ?? 2x5 lapierre raised flue evaporator

2017 - 150 taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2016 - 230 taps taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2015 - 115 taps mixed buckets, bags and, water jugs. 2.5 x 4 evaporator.

2014 - 55 taps mixed buckets, bags and, drop lines. 4 steam trays and a block arch. 3 gallons made tapped prematurely (lesson learned)

+ Reply to Thread