+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CV spouts or CV spout adapters?

Thanks for the answered questions, now I have probably a very stupid question. What is a cv2 spout vs a cv1?
    Chad

2014: 12 taps, 5 gal buckets
    2015: 15 taps on bags
    2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 225 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press
    2018: 180 taps: Added Shurflo to 50 - 3/16", Auto fill sensor to head tank
    2019: No tapping
    2020: 175 taps
    2021: 300 taps, homemade RO and releaser
    2022: 600+ taps

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by DocsMapleSyrup View Post
    Thanks for the answered questions, now I have probably a very stupid question. What is a cv2 spout vs a cv1?
    CV1 = CV Spout Adapter (requires a stub spout), black, nylon....the original CV
    CV2 = CV Spout, one-piece, clear, polycarbonate (no stub spout needed)
    CV3 = CV Spout Adapter (requires a stub spout), clear, polycarbonate
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    CV1 = CV Spout Adapter (requires a stub spout), black, nylon....the original CV
    CV2 = CV Spout, one-piece, clear, polycarbonate (no stub spout needed)
    CV3 = CV Spout Adapter (requires a stub spout), clear, polycarbonate
    Since the subject is alive.....is there anything happening with the check valve connectors at the mainline entrance? I heard it mentioned a year or two ago and can't seem to find any info. on it. It basically was a built in check valve within a 5/16 connecter designed to aid in stopping sap from flowing backwards in a lateral from the mainline, since that is where the "energy" comes from. I thought when I first heard it, why someone hadn't thought of it sooner? How many times have we all seen sap traveling backwards because of a releaser malfunction, frozen spot in the line, etc.? I believe reading how this one checkvalve at a mainline entrance would cut down on the need for a checkvalve on every spout.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

I was able to try both clear adapters one with ball and ones without and found you do not want to pound them in the tree to far and their is a circular line on the adapter, tap the stubby up to that line then they come apart decent but further in and they do come apart hard also if the tree is running sap when your tapping they really go together easy so have to be even more careful I'm putting in over 9000 this year so hope I don't regret it when comes time to take apart. That being said Wish Leader would make a polycarbonate stubby
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    I think they expected them earlier, but for some reason (unknown to me), they didn’t get them out until later. We too got them late. Only were able to get a hundred or so out to test as we had already tapped our woods.
    10,600 taps on vacuum
    5x16 CDL Master / with steam pan
    3600 GPH CDL RO

Thanks for the clarification Dr. Tim! Much appreciated.
    Chad

2014: 12 taps, 5 gal buckets
    2015: 15 taps on bags
    2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 225 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press
    2018: 180 taps: Added Shurflo to 50 - 3/16", Auto fill sensor to head tank
    2019: No tapping
    2020: 175 taps
    2021: 300 taps, homemade RO and releaser
    2022: 600+ taps

Grabbed a sample of each of the various types of Leader CV spouts and adapters at the NY Maple Conference yesterday.
    CV styles.jpg
    Clockwise from top left,
    Original CV Spout Adapter = CV1 (requires stub spout), black, nylon, ball near stub connection
    Clear CV Spout Adapter = CV3 (requires stub spout), clear, polycarbonate, ball in tip
    CV Spout = CV4, clear, polycarbonate with 3/16" tubing fitting, ball in tip
    CV Spout = CV2, clear, polycarbonate with 5/16" tubing fitting, ball in tip

Hope that helps to clear up any confusion about what the various styles are.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    Since the subject is alive.....is there anything happening with the check valve connectors at the mainline entrance?
    I think Steve Childs has done some research on this, both back early on when the CV first came out, and then a bit more recently. I did quite a lot of testing of various types of commercial check-valves in-line during the development and testing of the CV spout concept. Most of them created some amount of back-pressure which resulted in some loss of yield. That is why the CV spout/spout adapter incorporates a very lightweight ball for operation rather than something spring-loaded or of a diaphragm-type. Steve may have found something different. There is no question that a properly designed and incorporated CV would reduce back-flow of sap on that lateral line. We actually considered that approach, however you would still get backflow to any trees on that line if you had a leak AFTER the CV, and you would have some small amount of backflow occurring with each freeze cycle, thus the thought was to get them as close to the taphole as possible to prevent both those possibilities. I'd have to go back and look at the patent as granted to be sure, but I believe we tried to incorporate the concept of using of a CV to reduce backflow anywhere in the lateral line/dropline/spout system in the filing. So basically any existing commercial check-valve existing that was not specifically made for maple tubing could be used in that way, but anything specifically developed for the maple industry would fall under our patent.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thank-you for the update, Tim! Your a maple News on the net.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Great info in this thread, thank you! I have drops that are a few years old and there are CV2's still on them that I used last year. I see that Lapierre makes a clear adapter that is 5/16 on both ends. Would these CV2's plug right into that adapter? This seems like a good way to save money (1/2 price) vs buying new CV2's and will also be easier to install since I wont have to cut off the old spouts and crimp on new ones.

The main questions being 1) Will the CV2's fit these adapters and 2) Will this "system" give me similar sap yields? If it's the 1-2% "stubby effect" that was discussed above then that would be worth it. But if I will be missing out on a lot of sap then I'll just do new CV2's again. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by BlueberryHill; 02-01-2018 at 02:57 PM.
    More taps than the year before. Bigger shack than the year before. Leader Patriot 2x6 w/hood. 3-post Dolly, but still too much sap and not enough wood or time.
    www.wickedsappy.com

bumping this to the top to see if anyone knows if this would work??
    More taps than the year before. Bigger shack than the year before. Leader Patriot 2x6 w/hood. 3-post Dolly, but still too much sap and not enough wood or time.
    www.wickedsappy.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast