+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A-Frame sugar house

Default A-Frame sugar house

Just started putting this together. Have not seen one around and thought why not make it an A-frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You will just need more stack. The stack will need to be 3' above the peek, or 3' above the highest point within 10'. It should look nice.
    We like lots of pictures.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

How wide is it at the floor and how tall?

How will you design the cupola?

I look forward to seeing it take shape.
    2019-2023 40 to 50 taps to get 8 to 10 gallons of syrup
    2018 Built the sugar shack, produced 10.5 gallons (converted some to sugar,& cream). taps varied 45 to 50
    2017 Built 2x4 arch for a divided pan, 8.5 gallons from 30 taps increased to 42 taps during season.
    2016 Produced 3 gallons & 1 quart Syrup, Block arch & 3 buffet pans, 12 taps
    2015 Thought about tapping

The floor is just over 12 feet wide and we are 16 feet high. The cupola ( well that will be a few brains coming together when its time ) We hope to add to the walls today. My material is all free. Where I work we have sheet metal delivered on 8 X 4 pallets. All hard wood and darn heavy. Cant wait to add new pics as we go. Been a slow go.

Are the pallets just setting on the ground? If yes, you will need to have easily adjustable legs on your evaporator, the pan needs to be level and it could shift often.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Yes and no. The feet of the pallets that are in contact with the ground we put 6 inches of pea stone done to keep it off the dirt.

That will help to keep the pallets from rotting so quickly, but they still have no foundation. Simply design a method to re-level the pans as the frost comes out of the ground. They will likely need to be re-leveled a few times during the season. It can be done.

+ Reply to Thread