+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: number of taps on 3/16 with steep slope

We are all learning every day. Thanks everyone.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

I would agree that I would go with what the research says. I'm not the expert but spend a lot of time dealing with it and have a lot of customers that use it. Tim Wilmot and I talk from time to time and he is in agreement with 25 taps is the best max per line. We continue experimenting with different things and there will be a grant funded research project with 3/16 this coming season in WV along with different field things.

I know there has been concern about blockage but I have a bunch that has been 3 seasons of production and the last 2 seasons with WAY ABOVE average temps and tubing looks about as good as when it was installed over 3 years ago.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

There have been multiple studies done on how many "inferences" and flow a 3/16ths line can handle. One study was done at a 12% slope and the flow vs T's maximum came up around 48. Other studies suggest 52. That would be on a maximum flow day, how many runs do you have like that a year? Maybe 3?

I have nearly 2,000 on 3/16ths and some of my lateral are 1000-1200 feet long with as many as 55 taps on them. I somewhat justify that with my slope being much greater than 12%.
    Dominion and grimm 3 x 8
    MemPROtec 600SS
    24'x32' sugar house
    Two brothers and a best friend
    2015- setting up operations
    2016- 680 taps on 3/16
    215 buckets
    2017- 1280 taps on 3/16
    2018- 2000 taps on 3/16

Dealer for DSD Stars and MemProTec R.O.s

Quote Originally Posted by dbeitz1891 View Post
    There have been multiple studies done on how many "inferences" and flow a 3/16ths line can handle. One study was done at a 12% slope and the flow vs T's maximum came up around 48. Other studies suggest 52. That would be on a maximum flow day, how many runs do you have like that a year? Maybe 3?

I have nearly 2,000 on 3/16ths and some of my lateral are 1000-1200 feet long with as many as 55 taps on them. I somewhat justify that with my slope being much greater than 12%.
    Where are you getting your “multiple studies “ showing 50+/- taps on 3/16”?
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

One Important thing to consider with a 3/16 tubing setup is how many years you are going to use the tubing. The first year is great no arguments here, but the second year you reall ought to cut out any sections that appears to have heavy growth in the line because I can guarantee that the first hard freeze and subsequent thaw that bacterial growth will plug at the first tee.

I've got some 3/16 that has been used 3 seasons and it's going on it's 4th it definitely has more maintenance related issues than 5/16. So I think it's a good practice as others have suggested to have more lateral lines with 20 taps per , rather than laterals with 45 to 50 taps.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

I have not read or viewed any of the above mentioned links so this may have been seen or read by now, but Tim Wilmot did a presentation at the V.V.S. Maple Conference a year or two ago and he said he had a maximum of 37 taps on a 3/16 line with no adverse effects. He only deterred folks from that high of number because of the time it took to walk that line checking for leaks.

It probably goes without saying but a line like that would have to be on a pretty good slope and it would absolutely have to have the required amount of drop after the last tap.
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by n8hutch View Post
    The first year is great no arguments here, but the second year you reall ought to cut out any sections that appears to have heavy growth in the line because I can guarantee that the first hard freeze and subsequent thaw that bacterial growth will plug at the first tee.
    With 3/16" tubing it is also recommended that lines be flushed with a sanitizing solution at the end of the sap flow season, and then rinsed or a small amount of sap allowed to run on the ground (to flush out the sanitizer) to reduce microbial build-up. How best to manage age/sanitation-related losses in yield in 3/16" tubing (which appears to be more severe than in 5/16" tubing) is certainly a topic we anticipate doing more research on.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

There are 5 ways of doing things in the maple industry, so many times someone is not wrong it's just how they choose to do things:

1. Won't work
    2. Will work
    3. Works good
    4. Works better
    5. Works best

I think most strive to number 5 and most of the research is also, but there are others in each category.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER View Post
    There are 5 ways of doing things in the maple industry, so many times someone is not wrong it's just how they choose to do things:
    Nice.

I can't tell you how many times we've explained #1 (won't work) to folks....often repeatedly (oftentimes year-after-year to the same folks) or they go ahead and do it anyway and find out that it doesn't work and call to ask us why and how to make it work (can't). Worse still is when they contact each of us here at UVM PMRC separately, then, not hearing the answer they want, move on to our colleagues in UVM Maple Extension or other institutions to try to get the answer they want (we call it "answer fishing"). Rather annoying. The last is...."How do I do it the best/right way without spending any money?"

There's at least one other way of doing things to add to the list..... Plan it to death (or talk it to death), but never actually do it.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 10-18-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

What is the most recommended taps on 3/16, good slope, and added vacuum?
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast