+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adding larger fuel tank

Default Adding larger fuel tank

I'd like to add a larger fuel tank to my 6.5hp motor. Currently it will run about 8 hours on a tank but I'd like to not be lugging gas tanks into the bush. 1 trip every couple days would be nice.
    This is the motor I have

IMG_0427.jpg

It has the fuel line comming in the top of the tank. So it draws the fuel into the carburetor with vacuum from the valve and air box. So I, thinking of using a plastic marine fuel

If the line is primed with a primer bulb and the fuel tank is sitting 1' below the carb on the ground will it be able to draw the fuel to the carb?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

These are what I use:
    https://www.surpluscenter.com/Engine...-28-1836-R.axd
    I just build a wooden rack beside the engine, setting on the ground. Each tank is 4.5 gal and it comes with a shut off valve and below that is the fuel spout to attach a gas line to. I mount mine about 3-4" above the engine. I only use 1 on each pump but you could just as easily connect multiples as long as they were at the same height, just use tees to string as many as you want.
    On my 6.5 HP Honda, running the vacuum at about 2/3 throttle I get about 14 hrs on a tank. I also watch the forecast and when collecting late afternoon I only add enough to run until it is supposed to freeze and I try to have the pump go about 2-2.5 hrs past that. I just do the math, I multiply the hours I want it to run times 3.1 hrs/gal and I try to guess that. I carry my gas in 2.5 gal cans, one in each hand. It's pretty easy to get quite close. If the forecast shows a freeze just before or within 3 hrs of sunrise I run it straight thru. I go to collect 2x a day. If you only want to go once a day, just tie 2 tanks together.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I think what Dave is trying to say is mount the Tank in some fashion above the engine. I have to side with him, it might lift the fuel once primed from ground level but I doubt it personally, the needle and seat float system relies on a gravity feed. I can't think of too many engines I've seen that had a fuel tank below the carburetor that didn't have some kind of fuel pump, mechanical or vacuum induced pulsating fuel pump.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

+ Reply to Thread