+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stainless Steel SAP Buckets

Default Stainless Steel SAP Buckets

I'd like to hear opinions about these buckets I am thinking of getting. for SAP collection.
    These are your basic utility pails. I would need to drill or punch my own hole in the side near the top.

The specs are:
    410 Stainless steel
    26 gauge
    The top dimension of the bucket is 29.5cm.(11.6 in)
    The bottom dimension of the bucket is 20cm. (7.9 in)
    The height of the bucket is 26.5cm. (10.5 in)
    Volume is 10 litres. (2.6 gallons)

In quantity my cost is $5 per bucket. This includes shipping. Obviously they are chinese made.

I've imported lots of items from China, so I'm not worried about that part of the deal.

It seems to me i can get stainless steel buckets for the same or lower price of used aluminum buckets.

Here's a picture, click to enlarge:
    bucket.jpg

Thanks in advance for the opinions.

For $5 / bucket. If I still hung buckets I would ask to get in on the deal. Drill a hole for the spout, just have to figure out how to get a cover on it. Old Grimm flat lids may work they had a pin that hooked them to the spout not bucket.

I will throw out another opinion this morning, there are some that will say they are 410 (cheaper) stainless not 304 (most syrup pans) or 316 (food grade). Part of my day job is buying Stainless sheet and coil. There are many grades and they can all be used for a variety of things. And I am going to say WAY BETTER then a old galv bucket with lead soldier. Or old plastic buckets that who know what came in them.
    54 Acres bought in Sept 2010, hope for a lot of fun
    Kabota 3400 w/ bucket
    couple Husky chainsaws and a couple of Stihl
    Big dream
    2011 = 106 on gravity tubing, 100 bucket
    2012 =700 vaccuum 100 gravity 80 bucket's
    30" x 12' Vortex with Leader Revolution Max Raised pans
    2013 = 1200 vac, 200 gravity, 5 buckets, buying from 300 buckets, 500 vac
    Springtech RO 600 Deluxe
    2015= 1800 all vac @ home, buying sap from 1200.
    2017= 2200 all on vac. no longer buying sap

For $6.00 I can buy a plastic sap bucket, spout and a cover. I am wondering if that cheap ss bucket will rust just like the cheap ss sports drink bottles from walmart that are made in china.
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    seems to me i can get stainless steel buckets for the same or lower price of used aluminum buckets.
    How many buckets do you require? Around here used aluminum sap buckets are selling for Canadian $4.50 (U.S. $ 3.59). A road trip might be worthwhile for you.
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-oth...ationFlag=true
    Last edited by Quebecguy; 10-06-2017 at 07:46 AM.

You didn't indicate how many buckets you were planning, but I would caution you on over investing in buckets if you are new to sugaring. It didn't take me long to figure out that tubing provides several significant advantages. I bought a bunch of used buckets that will just serve as a mocked up display next season.

And don't forget that in your case you still need lids.

Good luck.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

+ Reply to Thread