+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Preheating AUF/AOF

Default Preheating AUF/AOF

Has anyone tried preheating there AOF/AUF by putting a larger diameter pipe around their smoke stack. So for example i run an 8 inch stack, i was thinking of trying 10 inch pipe around it with a Tee at the bottom that could be reduced down to hook to my blowers. I run 800 degree stack temps but at the rate of flow my blowers use im not sure if it would get too hot. I also thought if not go all the way through the roof with the outer pipe i could add or subtract pipe lengths to adjust the temp. I wouldnt think i would want to run temps of more that 150 degrees but i think any would help. Thanks Jeff
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Smokylake 2X6 pan set with auto drawoff
    Homebuilt 2 4x40 membrane RO
    Homebuilt filter press
    Rebuilt arch with under and over the fire air we have named V 2.0
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater
    500 gallon vertical polytank to store sap for RO
    Adding a laser eye to my bottler for autofill/stop

Quote Originally Posted by Wanabe1972 View Post
    Has anyone tried preheating there AOF/AUF by putting a larger diameter pipe around their smoke stack. So for example i run an 8 inch stack, i was thinking of trying 10 inch pipe around it with a Tee at the bottom that could be reduced down to hook to my blowers. I run 800 degree stack temps but at the rate of flow my blowers use im not sure if it would get too hot. I also thought if not go all the way through the roof with the outer pipe i could add or subtract pipe lengths to adjust the temp. I wouldnt think i would want to run temps of more that 150 degrees but i think any would help. Thanks Jeff
    go find my pictures and take a look
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

It looks like your pulling from the piggyback or steam away is that what you do or is this the wrong picture?
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Homebuilt filter press
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater

I have seen where some people have run steel pipe under the flue pan or in the transition area from the flue pan to the stack, basically making use of the hot air that is going up the stack. I think the idea is to have your blower pushing the hot air through the system from the start rather than having the blower handling the hot/super heated air.
    Last edited by n8hutch; 10-06-2017 at 08:37 AM.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Yes sir, I have a 2 x 6 with a 10 inch over an 8 inch stack. AOF & AUF. I think it works great! Truly believe it saves me fire wood. Would do it again.
    Treemonkey
    2014 180 taps Half on vac
    2015 330 taps 230 on vac
    2X6 wi Smokey Lake pans
    Home made RO one 4" membrane
    Arch wi AOF, AUF, and heat recovery.

It would definitely help but I'd have the blowers draw in cold air, push it through the space between the 8" and the 10" stack pipes (I'd go bigger to say 12" for the outer) and to the AOF/AUF nozzles.

The commercial high efficiency wood units (like our Force 5) draw in cold air and pipe it around the fire box to the nozzles but your idea is definitely something worth trying!
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

I'm going to try something but I'm not sure what yet. I think pushing the air is the proper way to do it but I have pulled hot air 160 to 180 degree through a squirrel cage blower for years without an issue.
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Homebuilt filter press
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater

Preheating will make a huge difference in fuel consumption. Increased our charge duration on the outside wood heater by feeding the blowers hot air from a 10" around an 8" well casing. Nearly a 40% increase in efficiency.

I have sketched out running a tube inside the chimney and into an AOF and AUF.

This was before I put an exhaust fan for a garage to remove the truck exhaust onto my air under fire. The pressure is so high I don't need any AOF to maximize the burn wood lasts longer next to no ash and stack color is clear 30-50 seconds after a charge of wood.

Pulling in ambient air will make the fans last longer. My motors need lubrication every 4 months when in hot air. annually for the one in the warm room air.

I am currently building a air preheater for my AOF on my 2x6 raised flue. It will be very similar to what was done here: http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...eated-AOF-mods.

The user that constructed this said it has held up well over the 2 years use so far. I'll post pics of mine when I get it put together.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

+ Reply to Thread